Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basing House

Clarinetguy

Default Basing House

I have done a search and don't think I have asked this before (but have on Facebook a while back).

In my research of Whittlesey I keep coming across a place called Basing House. At least 6 people died there between 1920 and 1932, and that is only information I have gleaned from church registers at Coates. It strikes me it could have been some kind of convalescence home or place of palliative care and it appears to have been active in the early part of the 20th century.

I have the death certificate of my Grandmother and the informant was - as far as I can tell E. W. Horbury. I reasoned that I might be able to look him or her up on the 1939 Register (only 7 years later) and possibly the 1911 census. It may be that this person was not at Basing House in 1911 or 1939 but I cannot even find anybody of that name who fits the bill. I have uploaded an image in case I have got the name wrong.

Of course I would be grateful if anyone has a bright idea but don't spend ages on this as I will pop into Whittlesey Museum this year to further my search for Basing House. In the meantime, I wonder why I cannot find a Horbury. I have not restricted my search to Cambridgeshire either. I have tried Harbury and other variations. I also browsed many of the 1939 Whittlesey pages!

Reputation beyond repute

Could it be the workhouse infirmary?

Clarinetguy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Could it be the workhouse infirmary?
    I had considered that but it turns out that relatives of mine who did die in the workhouse had that stated on their DCs. Still, if I can find the Whittlesey workhouse census for 1911 that might be worth another look. (...How to do...)

How to do ?
    I only know how to do in ancestry.

To find it in Ancestry you have to search the enumerators' books first.

On the 'search' page click on UK census under the Historical Records banner.
    RH column - Search this data collection by census year - click on the census year you want
    Again - scroll down page to Included data collections - click on census needed
    RH column - Browse this collection
    Choose - County, Civil Parish, Sub-registration District.

It then brings up a list of Enumeration Districts and if you click on these one by one you will be able to read which streets each one includes. When you find the Enumerator's book with your street in then you click on the grey bar at the bottom of the page (in the centre) and click through until you find the streetyou are looking for.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you can't find it on a census, could you find it on an Electoral Roll for Whittlesey?

The Whittlesey Workhouse was built on land known as Bassenhally Field.

https://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittlesey_Workhouse

ETA: the census ref for 1911 is - RG14 - PN9279 SN98
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    The Whittlesey Workhouse was built on land known as Bassenhally Field.
    Perhaps Basing House is a corruption/derivation of Bassenhally?

Peter

The 1939 Register has an Ernest W HORBURY, and an Elsie Horbury, living in Malvern, Worcs.

Ernest's occupation is hard to decipher because the original entry has been crossed through, although it is referenced on another page (yes, another one of those!). I'll try to find it but it may not add anything.

Peter
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-01-2018 at 4:14 AM. Reason: Details which are in breach of FMP T&Cs deleted.

Ernest's occupation seems to suit a prior position in a workhouse.

Peter

Reputation beyond repute

I had considered that but it turns out that relatives of mine who did die in the workhouse had that stated on their DCs.
    There's more to it than that.

The instruction to registrars that workhouse deaths should show a place of death that looked like an ordinary address dates from around 1920. Note that "looked like" implies that it didn't have to be a real address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast