Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basing House

Clarinetguy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The instruction to registrars that workhouse deaths should show a place of death that looked like an ordinary address dates from around 1920. Note that "looked like" implies that it didn't have to be a real address.
    I assume I could find those instructions on the well known workhouse website.

Thank you to all who have chipped in with hints.

Growing old Disgracefully

If you have the death cert what did she die of ? might be a clue

janbooth

Ernest W HORBURY's wife Elsie may also be a clue. Ernest W HORBURY married Elsie FLETCHER in March qtr 1927 at Warwick reg district. Elsie FLETCHER is in the 1911 census of Everton, Lancashire described as a Hospital Nurse living in the Mill Road Infirmary Nurses Home. Ernest Wright HORBURY died on 7 November 1954 at Leamington Spa, Warwickshire (National Probate Calendar) and Elsie survived him.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Horbury's 1939 occupation confirms it for me. You'll be aware that workhouses were by then known as Public Assistance Institutions.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-01-2018 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Detail in breach of FMPs T&Cs deleted.

Clarinetguy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Horbury's 1939 occupation confirms it for me. You'll be aware that workhouses were by then known as Public Assistance Institutions.
    That seems to be it then. (Never assume I know or am aware of anything, Peter!! )

Thank you all.

janbooth

Nor me. I have now learned something new, so thank you Peter.

Janet

Clarinetguy

I now have more confirmation that Basing House was the Whittlesey Workhouse. I have obtained the DC of a relative on which the informant is George Rowley. The 1911 census shows he was the Master of the Workhouse. RG14 PN9279 RG78 PN498 RD186 SD1 ED8 SN98. Yay!

Growing old Disgracefully

Some Workhouses had Hospitals attached to them as well.

We had one across the road from my Grand Dads house when we lived with him he lived in the same house for years and the workhouse with the hospital attached to it had been their years too.

Have you Googled the name of the workhouse you might find some photos. A map of Whittlesey Workhouse shows an Infirmary at the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12