Default Can't find who I am looking for.

I joined yesterday looking for info on my grandfather,however,I don't seem to be able to find him.I thought it would be straightforward,as I have his service number,but,that doesn't seem to help,neither do his middle initials. Does anyone have any tips for me please?

Angela

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Angela. If you came to us from FWR, the message HERE will explain the link between the two.

As you will see from the message HERE, the MOD has not released WW2 service records for internet publication on any site yet. Family members can buy a copy of service records if the serviceman/woman is dead. If they are alive, only they can have them (but they don't have to pay). Information on where & how to get them is all in that message. You will need 30 pounds and a copy of his death certificate - when I ordered my Dad's, it took about 3 months.

If he died during the War, you can find a little information on the Commonwealth War Graves site HERE.

If you know what squadron, regiment, ship or whatever he served with, it is often possible to search for general information about the unit while you wait for his records to come.

Thank you Lesley.I thought perhaps there would be more info on the site for some reason,but it appears not.All I know is his service number and I know he was an LAC and based in India.I was hoping to find his unit etc on here.

Angela

This is a Forum rather than a database - for that you need FWR. The Forum works more like a noticeboard. Someone posts a question, and anyone who knows the answer, or can suggest somewhere to look replies..
    When the MoD releases the WW2 records, someone will know where they can be found and will tell us - the MOD is spreading licenses to publish different information collections among the various Genealogy companies such as FWR, Ancestry and Find My Past, without and obvious logic as to who gets what..

Since you found the WW2 Forum, you have obviously worked out how to navigate our system (the link to other forums is top right on your screen if not). At the top of many of the forums are “sticky” files that stay in position and contain general and hopefully helpful information about the area covered by that Forum.

The only way to find his wartime info is to get his service records, assuming that he survived. He was in a fairly low rank in the RAF - do you know whether he was aircrew or ground crew (which could be anything from aircraft maintenance to administration)? Sometimes the number can help as different trades had numbers grouped together - for example, my Dad was RAF signals from a specific group of Boy Entrants and all of the men in that category have 6 figure numbers beginning with 55.

Hi Lesley,by here,I meant FWR,I joined the forum from there.I was hoping to find out more info on there.I admit,I probably should have paid more attention to the pinned post.As far as I remember,he only ever talked about driving people,so,I would say ground crew.I didn't know that they were different according to what trades etc.His is 7 digits starting with 107.

Thanks for helping me get a better handle on things, Angela

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Post what you know, name, year of birth, place of birth etc. Someone may turn up something from other sources