Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is he military?

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Murdoch M(A)CKENZIE's marriage to Helen CREIGHTON can be viewed on Scotlands People.

For a small sum you can view the original parish register entry, which might well state Murdoch's occupation.

Peter
    You are a genius! The marriage actually took place at Fort George, according to the register entry, and he was indeed a private in the 78th Foot.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    Jessie married a civilian, James Johnston, in 1849 or 1850 in Edinburgh. But that's an idea - maybe check the other siblings' marriages out and see if they were late enough and say anything (if I can find them, of course). Thankyou again.
    Fiona:
    Ran across this site by pure accident.

Murdoch was my 3rdGGFather. He was a a sergeant in the 78th Highland Reg. as per his wife's (Helen) death certificate.
    According to Jessie (daughter's marriage to James Hardie Johnston) in 1848 she lists him as deceased.
    After marring at Ft George in 1819 the 78th was transferred to Ireland. Hence some children born there.
    He does not appear in the 1841 census with Helen as the 78th had been sent to India c1841. In 1844 the regiment was struck by an appalling outbreak of cholera in which 543 all ranks, and over a hundred wives and children perished. There is a memorial to those who died in St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh. I strongly suspect he died in India 1844/45.
    Interestingly, Jessie's death certificate in 1897 lists he father as Murdoch McKenzie Army Pensioner. Which suggest's Helen might have received a pension but I have found no record.
    I have quite a lot of information on this line but it still needs to be sorted!
    I can be contacted via email at merrick1415 AT yahoo DOT com if you so wish.
    Best regards
    Simon
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 12-03-2018 at 4:23 PM. Reason: Email deactived to deter psammers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12