+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Default Maori Wars 1860-1867 New Zealand British Army

My Great Grandfather, William McAllister from Dublin, Ireland joined the British Army in November 1860 and was sent, along with his Regiment, 14th Reg of Foot, 2nd Batt. To Auckland, NZ in 1861 where they remained until 1867 when the regiment went to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. They then departed for return to U.K. In March 1870. So far I have all his Pay Muster Sheets, but I know there must be more records than just those sheets. Can anyone on this forum please advise me what other records that possibly could still exist. I know he went AWOL at a town called Drury, on the great southern road, built by the British Army and was apprehended and then spent 6 weeks in the Brig. So there must be prison records at least. However, He rejoined his regiment and continued serving until 1867. Any help or suggestion on what and how to find further records would be gratefully accepted. Mangan thanks.
    Last edited by William1841; 28-12-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Grammar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 2,236 Posts

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums William
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us and why you landed here.

Meanwhile I will take a look and see what is to be found although as I understand it military records from the period you are searching are not very prolific and what there are can be scarce on information
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to christanel For This Useful Post:

William1841 (03-01-2018)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thank you very much Christanel. I know my chances of find my William McAllister's service records is quite slim, however I do have all of his Pay Muster Sheets which gives a good account of his regimental movements whilst in New Zealand. Iam hoping there may be a record of his possible Courts Martial as he went AWOL on 8th December 1862 for 6 weeks then rejoined his regiment, but was confined to HM Prison for a furrher 6 weeks. After that he continued on moving around New Zealand with his regiment. I believe there was punishment in the form of branding with a D on the chest of a soldier who deserted and I also believe my William was actually branded on his chest. Ive been told this by my family over the years. There must be records of perhaps Courts Martial as when his regiment said to Melbourne Victoria in 1867, William desert his regiment in Melbourne and was never apprehended, thus he remained in Australia. His regiment departed Victoria in March 1870 to return to the UK. Its quite a story, as he apparently may have been apprehended again and was being transport back to UK to either a courts martial and/or prison sentence. So my main aim now is to find any courts martial or imprisonment papers. Also I trying to find Attestation papers or forms when he was first recruited which I was hoping may have a bit more info on his next of kin. Many thanks again, Maria.

Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks

William was apprehended along with a John Kelso and Michael Carey - 2nd battalion 14th regiment of foot. Think I can see all 3 on the British Army, World Wide Index 1861 but no other records (FMP).

Re branding -
    http://broughttolife.sciencemuseum.o...splay?id=92953
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to helachau For This Useful Post:

William1841 (03-01-2018)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

helachau, thanks you so much for that info on William being apprehended and the other two deserters. That branding device looks horrific, poor William how awful. Many thanks for your time. It is much appreciated. Maria

Settling in
    Thanks

The 14th Reg of Foot became the West Yorkshire Regiment who then became the Prince of Wales Own Regiment who have now been swallowed up by the Yorkshire Regiment. The Prince of Wales Own Regiment have an active Association http://www.yorkshireregiment.com/ass...re-association
    The Yorkshire Regiment has a good Museum http://www.yorkarmymuseum.co.uk
    If you haven't done so I suggest contacting them for they may well have copies of old records and if they don't then they certainly will be able to point you in the right direction.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to marshland For This Useful Post:

William1841 (04-01-2018)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

marshland, thank you for those websites. Yes, I did discover Williams regiment was The Prince of Wales Own Regiment. Over many years of researching his service, I have found a few useful snippets about him along the way, eg. Pay Muster Sheets in full which gives details of At Sea, Cork to Auckland with dates, I found the ship as well, The Henry Fernie" and where he was stationed around NZ, this has helped me piece together a bit about him. however, if only I could find his Attestation forms to see if any relevant details of his next of kin are written on them. It may be that these forms no longer exist for various reasons, but will try to find them. I wonder if Pay Books are different to Pay Muster Sheets?? Also will try to find any records relating to his desertion and whether he was actually courts martialled. I do know he was branded D on his chest. I've found reference of his desertion in the NZ Newspaper, The Southern Cross which is free to search on the Papers Past website. Many thanks for your assistance.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

helachau, Could I please ask you, where did you find this information ...William was apprehended along with a John Kelso and Michael Carey - 2nd battalion 14th regiment of foot. Think I can see all 3 on the British Army, World Wide Index 1861. I can't seem to find the same information. Many thanks, Regards, Maria

Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks

The item appeared in The Daily Southern Cross, 20 Jan 1863 - search for John Kelso NOT Mcallister

There's possibly an item in The Hawkes Bay Times, 10 May 1866 - search for William M*allister

I checked the 1861 World Wide Index on FindMyPast
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to helachau For This Useful Post:

William1841 (18-01-2018)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

helachau. I will look at those newspapers. You are very helpful, its much appreciated. Thanks so much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast