Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Default Low/Lowe in Lancashire HELP!

The oldest child in the household of Mark Albiston and Susannah Lowe (b. 1832) was born 2 yrs before they were married in 1852. That child was called Susannah Lowe - 1900 census in Fall River, Mass gives her birth as June 1849. She is not with Mark and Susannah Albiston in the 1861 census. In 1851 Mark is at home with his parents and Susannah Lowe his soon-to-be-wife can't be found. I finally located daughter Susannah's marriage in 1878 to Robert Emmett and discover she's listed as Susannah Smith (age 28), parents John and Eliza! And yes, it's the correct marriage because they're living with known family in 1880.

SO, I go back and try to find Susannah Smith in 1851 and find her listed as the Granddaughter of Jonathan and Susannah (b. 1796) Low in Staleybridge, Lancashire. Susannah Lowe, who married Mark Albiston, was the daughter of Thomas Lowe, not Jonathan Low. So, it looks like Eliza (Low) Smith may have been a cousin (?) to Susannah (Lowe) Albiston and for some reason she and Mark took her in to raise between 1861 and 1871. Okay - but I'd expect Eliza Low to be living at home in 1841, as her siblings, who were at home in 1851, were born between 1828 and 1835 (Robert and Joseph). However, I can't find ANY of the Jonathan and Susannah Low family in 1841 (they were all born in Lancashire)!

PLEASE, can someone help me find Eliza (Low) Smith in 1841? If she's with the family, maybe I can then find her marriage to a man named Smith, and the birth record for Susannah about 1849-'50 in Staley Wood, Cheshire which the 1851 census lists as her place of birth... Then for my next challenge I need to find the connection between Jonathan, Susannah Smith's grandfather, and Thomas Lowe, Susannah (Lowe) Albiston's father...

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

There is this family in 1841 at Demesne street, Mottram in Longdale,Ashton and Oldham. ???

John Lowe b 1806. Cotton spinner
    Susannah Lowe b 1796
    John Smith b 1821
    Robert Lowe b 1827
    Joseph Lowe b 1833
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Township of above is Stayley......Staylebridge?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Hi
    just trying to get a handle on this and looking at the Susannah Smith born c1848 in the 1851 census with Jonathon and Eliza. On the GRO index there is the birth reg of a Susannah Smith, mother's maiden name Lowe Stockport registration district June 1/4 1850. The Stockport registration district includes Dukinfield. There are others in the earlier time frame but the mmn's are not ones you have mentioned.
    On FreeBMD on the same page of marriages is a John Smith and an Eliza Lowe. Sept 1/4 1849 Stockport registration district.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

That looks like them! John Smith must be the man Eliza married! Thank you!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Without wishing to muddy the waters, Susannah Lowe, who married Mark Albiston, and associated members of her family are mentioned in these two threads.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ght=Low%2FLowe
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...light=albiston
    Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 29-12-2017 at 2:12 AM. Reason: Corrected incorrect URL
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam
    your second link is to this thread.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    just trying to get a handle on this and looking at the Susannah Smith born c1848 in the 1851 census with Jonathon and Eliza. On the GRO index there is the birth reg of a Susannah Smith, mother's maiden name Lowe Stockport registration district June 1/4 1850. The Stockport registration district includes Dukinfield. There are others in the earlier time frame but the mmn's are not ones you have mentioned.
    On FreeBMD on the same page of marriages is a John Smith and an Eliza Lowe. Sept 1/4 1849 Stockport registration district.
    Christina
    Oooo, I'll bet that's her! Thank you, I'm going to send for that one!

Default Now another question re: Eliza Lowe

Okay - looking at the 1841 census it makes me wonder... Susannah is a good bit older than her husband Jonathan (she's 10 years older in this census, 9 years older in the 1851 census) - might John Smith be a son from another marriage for her??? Perhaps Eliza Lowe ISN'T Susannah and Jonathan's child, but a niece of theirs...

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn View Post
    Oooo, I'll bet that's her! Thank you, I'm going to send for that one!
    Hi
    You can download a PDF of birth and death certificates directly from the GRO site. You have to sign up but free to do so.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    Marriage certificates are still sent by post.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast