Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I didn't capture the occupation of Henry on the image I posted but I agree with Dundee10 it is Boatman.
    Christina

Added: Here it is

Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

You can view the records online, just click through to view the PDFs. Henry died intestate in 1869 and the administration of his estate went to his son John BRICE. The record confirms that he was of Sydney Street.

Search here for the surname BRICE :

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-...ners-1855-1947

The two of interest are Henry BRICE (No. 2732 - incorrectly dated 1854, should be 1856)) and Henry Frederick BRICE (No. 5637). Again, just click through and open the PDFs of their records. The personal details there seem like too much of a coincidence not to be your family.

Henry Snr was born around 1810 in Bristol. He was tried in 1831 at Gloucester and transported for 14 years to Tasmania in 1832 on the 'Elizabeth'. The Victorian record states that he went to the Cape of Good Hope and then came to Victoria in 1855. His wife's name was Mary. I cannot find an article about the 1856 crime but there is one from 1857 where he strangely claims a case of robbery which had happened 3 years earlier when he had been a carter to the gold diggings. He references the 1856 bribery charge when he was a detective constable and his time in Tasmania.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154822563

Tas records are all digitised so you can see his convict records, marriage permission and marriage to Mary HAIG(H) (per ship 'Arab'), as well as the births of his children when he was a district constable. Most of the childen died as infants.

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.a.../en_AU/names/?

Dundee10

Prison record - Henry Frederick BRICE (No. 5637)

He was 11 years old in 1861 (have a look at his weight and height) when he was sentenced to six months hard labour for stealing. I haven't seen this before, usually they went to a reformatory/industrial school. Parents confirmed as Mary and Henry a cabman of Sydney Street.

Henry and Mary did have a son born in Tas in 1844 named Henry Frederick, but he died in Feb 1845. This second Henry says he was born at the Cape of Good Hope.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Are these records part of your puzzle Dundee10?

Christina
    The puzzle is how many Marys there were!! Was there more than one? It is the multiple surnames that are confusing me.

The first child to Henry and Mary (HAIG) was Sophia Ann born in 1841. It is likely to be her marrying in Victoria in 1861 to John Henry ADAMS, and dying in 1884 aged 43, parents named as Henry BRICE and Mary (no surname). Sophia's marriage cert would be my first purchase to see who she named as her mother.

The next child was an unnamed female born in 1842 and died in 1843 when she was named as Mary. Then an unnamed son born in 1843, then Henry Frederick in 1844 (died 1845) and another unnamed son born in 1845. I cannot see deaths for the 1843/1845 sons so I am not sure if they survived or not. It was not unusual for the deaths of infants to not be recorded.

Their son John BRICE married in Victoria in 1869 to Maria QUINCEY and died in 1872 aged 23. The death registration names his parents as Henry BRICE and Mary WOODHOUSE and it states he was born in Melbourne. If the age is correct then that would have been c1849 which was before civil registration commenced.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234