Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Trying to learn about my late father

All your search facilities come up blank and yet I have photos my father in uniform. According to my late mother, he was a ships captain in the British India line. During WW2 he transferred to the Royal Navy VR , and was appointed captain of a troopship. His ship "name unknown" was sunk in the Mediterranean by a German U-Boat and managed to survive. I understand that after his recovery he was put in command of another troopship. He survived the war and I recently received information that he died in Portsmouth in November 1980.

The only documented information I have is a copy of his Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate. This is the only actual data that I have on record. Birth Certificate states ........ William Anderson Davidson was born in Glasgow, Scotland on December 3, 1907. His father was John Davidson and his mother was Elizabeth Davidson (Born Anderson). The Marriage certificate reflects my mother's fathers names and date of marriage. It does state that he was a a member of the Mercantile Marine.

I have not been able to progress back beyond the names of his father and mother and that his father was a Marine Instrument Maker. I know for a fact that he had a sister, I have seen her photo, but no mention of her in my searches.

I wonder if any reader can suggest how I should progress with this research. I never knew him, his having deserted us after my birth in 1931. His research has ended with a brick wall and is so unlike my mother's research, where my family tree reflects over 2,000 names ... it is taking all my time trying to determine factual data, thanks to the poor checking of other people in compiling their Family Trees.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There are only two entries on Scotland's People for a marriage between a John DAVIDSON and an Elizabeth ANDERSON. One is in 1902, registration district St Giles (which I think is Edinburgh) and the other in 1905 in Cathcart (Lanark) which is Glasgow.

You can view a marriage entry on Scotland's People by buying a few credits. A scottish marriage certificate is pretty informative. It should show the parents of the two parties to the marriage as well as occupations for all parties, addresses, and names of witnesses. So you should be able to go back a generation from there.

It will be difficult to find the correct records for your father's sister, unless you have any other information, e.g. first name(s) and whether she was older or younger than your father. However, if one of the above marriages is correct, you may then be able to find John, Elizabeth and your father William on the 1911 Census, hopefully with a sister.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Peter

You should be able to find out a bit more about the family by using the census - the 1911 for Scotland is only on Scotland’s People. The earlier ones should give you John with his family.
    Have a look at the top of our General Scottish forum, there’s some helpful messages on how to and where to find info. See HERE.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Most WW2 records are not online yet, hence your search getting nowhere.
    Apply for his service record here - https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

FindMyPast has five Merchant Navy records for a William Davidson, born 1907. One, at least, relates to a William Anderson Davidson, including DoB 3/12/1907 and a photograph.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Trying to learn about my late father

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMyPast has five Merchant Navy records for a William Davidson, born 1907. One, at least, relates to a William Anderson Davidson, including DoB 3/12/1907 and a photograph.

Thank you very much for this information. Will certainly follow it up. Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and Happy New Year.

Derek Davidson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Most WW2 records are not online yet, hence your search getting nowhere.
    Apply for his service record here - https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

regards

Robert
    Thank you very much for this information. Will certainly follow it up. Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and Happy New Year.

Derek Davidson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Derek Davidson