Default James Albert Vincent 1917-1982

Hello,

I'm looking for my Grandfather's records and really not having much luck! He was in the Royal Navy and I believe he was a Gunner. I have a letter sent to him at HMS Rajaliya for Christmas 1944 and either before or after this he was on a boat which was bombed; he spent 72 hours in the water. I think he was taken to Australia to recuperate.

He was from Malmesbury / Chippenham area and then based out of Chatham.

The service number is either C/JX365947 or C/JX365967. Just can't find anything - please help!

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    if you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    This 'sticky' tells you about Navy service records for WW11
    This is the site where you can download application forms but in the case of Naval records it doesn't look as if you will get too detailed a record unfortunately.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

I cannot find details of the registration of his death on Free BMD, but Family Search has the record of the death of a James Albert Vincent (born 27 June 1917) registered in Cirencester April-June 1983.

I know this is of no relevance to your inquiry but might enable you to confirm his date of death.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    I cannot find details of the registration of his death on Free BMD, but Family Search has the record of the death of a James Albert Vincent (born 27 June 1917) registered in Cirencester April-June 1983.
    The date "27 Jun 1917" fits the 1939 register entry for a James A Vincent in that locale.

The Cheltenham Chronicle, 24 Aug 1940, has an item that ties in with the 1939 register
    "James Albert Vincent, of North Cerney, was fined 10s for riding a pedal cycle without front or rear lights, at Calmesden on the night of August 2nd, ....."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries

How ironic, a month later and he would have probably been fined for having lights showing on his bike.