Default Valor Medal to South Nottingh. Hussars ?

Dears,
    I'm new to your community and I need your precious help in understanding if I moving in the right direction for my research. recently I bought an Italian Valor Medal, golden (vermeille) but with all the authentic features in terms of size, weight and hallmarks. The only question that remains is the name reported on the back. As you know, Italian medals are never assigned and named personally to the recipient except the "Al Valore Militare" ones. These are reporting, generally, the name of the recipient, the date and the place. The one that I bought is simply reporting the acronym "S.N.H. // 87". Somebody told me that these letters could be the initials of the British Unit "South Nottinghamshire Hussars". As far as I can understand, if this is the story, this unit ahs been awarded with the gold medal by the Italian King. Could it be possible ? Maybe is it simply a coincidence ?
    So I'm asking your invaluable support to understand if it is right or wrong.
    thank you so much in advance.
    Dino

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you something about us.
    Wikipedia says "During World War I, the medal was awarded to military personnel, units above the level of company, and civilians for exceptional valor in the face of the enemy.
    So it looks as if it is possible that your medal was awarded to the South Nottinghamshire Hussars.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I would have thought a mass high honor like hat would have been in the newspapers of the time?