Thread: WW1 soldier

Default WW1 soldier

Hi all,

I am trying to establish, with limited information, if two soldiers are the same person. I have his name and date of birth and know he was from the Kirkby in Furness area and served in WW1. He was in a Regiment known as KORR, which I think I have worked out is the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. I found a record for a man of that name, Frank Tyson, on another site as a Private in The Royal Lancaster Regiment, army number 242979. On this site I found another as a soldier in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, with army number 5915.

I have three questions in relation to this. Firstly, are they the same Regiment? Secondly, why the huge gap between their two regimental numbers as they are both Privates? Finally, is anyone able to tell me if either was born in 1894 in the Ulverston area in Lancashire/Cumbria please? Thanks, in anticipation.

Ali

For purposes of elimination there is this service pension record
    John Ormandy Tyson
    born about 1894 at Pennington, Lancashire, England
    Age 17in 1911
    Regimental Number: 1455
    Regiment 4th Battalion the Kings Own (R Lanc ) Regiment
    Form Title: Territorial Force Attestation

William Tyson is his father.

Be aware that 60 % plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so the medal Roll
    Index Cards and the Medal and Award records are all that remain for most service men and these only vert, very rarely give a snippet of personal information.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums. If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I can see the Medal Roll Index card for Tyson service number 242979 King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, but can't find one in the name of Tyson 5915 on ancestry.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Could the 5915 be pre-WW1 - https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.c...iment-1st.html
    There is also this - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...force-in-1917/
    I have not done any research, just giving pointers.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thanks Christina, but his name is definitely Frank Tyson.

On the Forces War Records site I can see the F Tyson, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, Regiment number 5915 you refer to but I can't match it to any Medal Roll or Award and Medal records on ancestry which only they are licensed to hold. I'll investigate further.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thanks again Christina, I found the same on Ancestry but cannot tell from this site if they are the same person? I know his DOB was 26 July 1894 in Ulverston District. I have just realised that this post should be in the WW1 posts not WW2!
    Ali