Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gunner F J Mears

I own a small watercolour by F J Mears. Research shows he has several evocative pictures in IWM etc. But who was he?
    All the bits I dig up say he was born in approx 1890. He served in the Royal Garrison Artillery, with the BEF. Painted on the Ypres Salient in 1916 and 17, signing his pictures as Gunner F J Mears BEF 1916. After the war he apparently exhibited at 20 Old Bond Street, London with Lady Astor and General Gough being purchasers. These sales saved him from destitution. Allegedly this was reported in the Daily News, but no luck there either as this newspaper was not published in 1920. He was married. He died in 1929 related to being gassed in WW1.
    However, he does not come up on any of the Ancestry and Find my past sites with those birth and death years or 5 years either side. There is an Alfred John Mears who served in the RFA, but was a Driver 93780 and got a Silver War Badge 170388. Could he be Fred John??
    The galleries keep repeating the same information, but do not know where they got it from!
    Any suggestions as to how to proceed or should I just enjoy the picture!

There was a report in the Nottingham Journal, 7 May 1920, of 30 of his pictures being displayed at No. 20, Old Bond Street (Klackner's Gallery?). His address ("a garrett") was given as 13 Windmill Street, Tottenham Court Road.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

That's great! a new clue.
    Klackners were publishers and a gallery in London and New York. Electoral registers show a Frederick James Mears at 13 Windmill Street in 1921, 1922 and 1923. So I think that is our man. At least I have what he called himself then. I suspect he used Frederick intermittently, but I do have a Gunner James Mears in the Royal Garrison Artillery 293246 who lived in Tottenham who was a plasterer. Which is quite an artistic trade. Maybe that's him. Will keep digging. So glad to have a name at least. Many thanks for your prompt response.

Have you looked at 76494 Gunner Fredk Mears of the RGA (as given on his medal card on Anc)? He enlisted 25 Apr 1916, discharged sick on 12 Jun 1917, which would fit with the dates of his war paintings. Silver war badge 196054.
    Quite a few of the men I've researched didn't use their middle names during their military lives.

PS Thank you for bringing him up - I Googled his work and liked it very much.

Managed to find the Nottingham Journal article. Clearly says RGA. Also skilled metal worker pre-war so rules out James. Also James was a widower unlike FJ who's wife was actively encouraging his painting, but maybe he had remarried. Flats in Windmill Street are now somewhat posh! Will carry on digging.

What was his wife’s name?

That's the direction I would have come from, but not mentioned in the article and before votes for women. Frustrating, but at least we have moved on from my last brick wall.

What about Fredk who I mentioned in #4?

Also, have you looked for a will?

No will. I suspect he was not a man of means. Your Frederick 76494, was a Sergeant. Still digging on census etc to see if it fits. If I can just get an age and a location I could be more certain. If only we knew her name, his rank etc it would be easier. Above all if the blitz had not destroyed the records we would be done by now! I will continue to dig during the holiday.

Loves to help with queries

Have you seen this, which purports to be a portrait of FJ Mears?
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...adam-asar.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast