Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grave Site

Default Grave Site

Hello,
    I am searching for the grave site in Biarritz France of my grandfather who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the British Army we believe sometime in late 1800's-early 1900's. He was the Commissioner of Jellunder, Punjab.We believe he died in San Raphael ,France in the early 1920's.
    Thank you for any help.
    Paul Davies

Famous for offering help & advice

guessing that he was a paternal grandfather, was he H.S.P. or possibly H.P.S Davies ?

Henry S P Davies died Cannes (?), born 1855, died aged 71 ? Consular Death Indices volume 21, page 120.

Henry Samuel Price Davies

not sure what to suggest regarding grave site. Biarritz is not one of my haunts.

Thank you. Yes he was HSP Davies. I will email the cemeteries in Biarritz. Where do I find the Consular Death Indices you refer to. Thank you
    Paul

apologies, this is where I become unstuck with my lack of knowledge. I think with the information of volume 21, page 120 this will enable you to obtain a death certificate from the General Register Office (GRO)

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

There are plenty of people on this forum who have far greater expertise than me.

I have just looked at HSP Davies's entry in the probate calender, it gives a place and date of death as Sunny Bank Hospital, Cannes, 16 December 1927.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by cosmodog View Post
    I am searching for the grave site in Biarritz France of my grandfather....We believe he died in San Raphael ,France in the early 1920's.
    Are you sure that your grandfather was buried in Biarritz? It's a very long way from Cannes, about 850k.

I can't find a San Raphael in France but there is a Saint-Raphael about 70k down the coast from Cannes.

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

wimsey was almost right in the details he gave in post #2 – he just forgot the year(s).

I’ve never had to order an overseas certificate so I don’t know exactly which details the GRO need so take your pick from:
    name: Henry S P Davies
    station: Cannes
    volume number: 21
    page number: 120
    years: 1926 – 1930
    Consular deaths

This is perhaps a better link to the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    The bit about PDFs doesn’t apply to overseas certificates, but just click on the link because it does say ‘order certificates’.
    FAQs re overseas certificates.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...w.asp#Overseas

As you have a date of death it might be worth searching the British Newspaper Archive (also available on Findmypast) for an obituary. The Times Digital Archive (which I don’t think is included in the BNA but is often available for free at your local library) has an announcement which just says the date of death, at Cannes, beloved husband of Mabel (nee Patterson), son of Sir Henry Davies, K.C.S.I, aged 71 years.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This looks like the marriage of Henry and Mabel.
    Henry Samuel P Davies and Mabel Merritt Patterson, September quarter 1908 St George Hanover Square registration district.
    If you want to order a copy of the certificate the additional details needed are volume number 1a page number 1007.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

thanks to Pam for coming to my rescue

a website giving a potted history of the Davies estate in Wales suggests HSP Davies was buried in Marseilles, but also gives a death date of 27 December 1928, so might not be entirely reliable.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-b

just in case you were not aware, Mabel Merritt Davies "of St Catherines, Lincoln, Ontario" died 28 November 1965.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast