Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motherbird

Smile motherbird

I am searching for records of my Grandfather who fought and died in the early part of WWI. Sheffield Archives report that records relating to enlistment of soldiers in WWI were partly lost during the Sheffield Blitz, and that could most likely be the reason why I haven't been able to find any trace of him. Are there
    any other records (copies of originals) covering army enlistment records which may have been stored elsewhere for WWI. I would be pleased to receive other opinions on this.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Sadly, it's true. Over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire during WW2. The most complete set of records is the Medal Card Index, but it's minimal - name, regiments and numbers (some men had more than one). Sometimes papers relating to applications for pensions turn up.
    Since he died during the War, you may find a little information on CWGC.org. Sometimes it's just the serviceman's name, number & regiment, but they often mention parents or spouses.

Of course, if you tell us what you know - name, regiment, etc, someone on here may be able to find something.

Reputation beyond repute

You'll get a much better response if you provide the man's name, number and regiment, if known.

I can understand you asking Sheffield Archives if it was a local regiment but did they not refer you to the National Archives? They have a range of useful research guides such as this one...
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-after-1913/

Most WW1 service records were destroyed during the London blitz because that's where they were stored.

The CWGC website may identify the battalion he was in. This would provide some options for further research.

If you care to provide his details, folk here will check the various sources that we may have available.

Many thanks for your interest. I haved not done any research for my Grandfather for about three years but have previously searched records in National Archives Kew with no luck. It was with the interest in the last 100 years since the First World War that I thought maybe some new findings may have come to light. I was informed War Records were destroyed in the Sheffield Blitz but I appear to have a note saying it was the London blitz.

My Grandfather's name is William Morrison Peacock, born in 1884/5 lived in Brightside Sheffield enlisted 1914

I also have details of another soldier who survived the First World War, his details are: Albert William Sands Born 1878 lived in Darnall Sheffield and served in the Yorks & Lancashire Regiment believed to have enlisted 1914.

I look forward to any information which may come to light.

Red face Motherbird

Many thanks to all who may take an interest in my Posts.

Hello motherbird and welcome to B-G forums.

How certain are you of your Grandfather's place of birth? I ask as there doesn't appear to be a William Morrison Peacock born circa 1884 in Sheffield. I did find a possible birth registered in Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

Births Dec 1883. PEACOCK William Norrison Chesterfield 7b 738.

It is possible Norrison is a mistranscription for MORRISON, unless you have details of a birth in Sheffield I think this one should be considered. Do you have his birth certificate?

Do you have more info to share, i.e. when'where/who he married, names of his parents and siblings?
    Alma

I have a feeling that William didn’t use his middle name very much... Do you know what his wife’s name was? It might help to pick William out from the several candidates in the CWGC database.

Alma, that's a good find! There's a William N Peacock b 1884 in Stavely, Derbyshire and resident in Brightside Bierlow, Yorks (Reg dist Sheffield) for the 1901. parents William & Charlotte. In the 1891, he's listed as William M.

In the 1911 his birthplace is Chesterfield, he's an iron turner resident in West Brightside, Shefflied. At the time of the census he was an inmate in the Sheffield Union Workhouse. Described as married, can't see his wife so maybe he was in for medical reasons..

PS There's a marriage for William Norrison Peacock to either Mary Bradshaw or Sarah Ann Lax in 1906, Sheffield.

Baptism
    William Morrison Peacock
    Baptised 24 Feb 1861 Goole, York, England
    Father - Thomas Peacock
    Mother - Ann Elizabeth Peacock
    FHL Film Number: 1912222

So who is this one?

Goole about 40 miles from Sheffield and pretty close to Chesterfield itself. ( motherbird - the birth registration is in the Chesterfield district not the exact town)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I'm being called to the dining table, just before I enjoy my meal I'll add there's Merchant Seamen records for a William Morrison Peacock.
    Alma

I wonder
    1891 RG12 Piece 3850 Folio 7 Page 7
    17 Vine? Street Kimberworth
    William M Peacock 30/1861 Iron turner born Goole Yorkshire
    Charlotte A Peacock 21/862 born Stavely Derbyshire
    William M Peacock 7/1884 Stavely Derbyshire

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast