Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Michaela

Default 10 year old mystery!

Hi all,

I think this is my third time posting on this forum but I have some additional information which may help. It is far beyond my capability to solve this mystery and I am desperate and need some expert help. This mystery is ruining my love for ancestry as I cannot get past it! Would love some help and ideas.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/ar...p/t-66881.html - thread here where I have posted before.

The mystery is my great grandmother, Annie Lee. She was born 12 Jun 1909 which is confirmed by her step-fathers military record in 1916. I have been unable to locate her birth certificate. She died as Anne Lee-Frost in 2000, Faversham Kent.

Her step-father is Ernest Lee b. 1888 in Eastbourne. I found Annie's mother by looking at his marriages -
    Elizabeth M A Lee b. 1882 and died 1940 in Faversham. They married in Herne Bay in 1910. On the military record, she is known as Betsy. On the marriage certificate it states Elizabeth's father is James Lee and was an Agricultural Laborer. Other than what was on the marriage certificate, I can't find any records of James. Elizabeth is on the 1939 census with Ernest in Faversham.

When Elizabeth and Ernest married, they both had children. Elizabeth had Annie and Ernest had Eddie. I have Eddie's birth certificate, his mother was Sabina Scamp and he was born in 1907. It is well known in the family that Ernest is not Annie's father. I presumed Annie was born a Lee like her mother but I have searched and searched. I wonder whether she was born with an entirely different first and second name.

Annie married Abram Elijah Lee-Frost in 1926 in Sittingbourne Kent. Abram was born 1903 in Kent. Abram comes from a long line of Romany gypsies as does Ernest. It wouldn't surprise me if Annie did as well.

I am giving you all the information I have in case one detail pieces the whole thing together. The only record I have of them alltogether is Ernest's military record where he lists them as dependents.

I would love to find Annie's birth record. I would love to be able to trace her family history but I find even knowing Elizabeth and James I have been unable to find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Michaela

Have you found Annie in the 1911 census records ?

Do you have a year & place of birth for Annie's mother Betsey ?

Michaela

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Have you found Annie in the 1911 census records ?
    No. I can't find Elizabeth or Ernest either.

Michaela

Do you have a year & place of birth for Annie's mother Betsey ?
    Based on her death certificate she was born in 1882 in Woolwich

What age does it say on her marriage certificate ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to Ernest's military record, Annie was born in Welling, which is in Kent.

If you can find out which registration district this came under it might be possible to approach that registry office and ask them to look at their birth register as you know her date of birth and you know her first name.

Michaela

What age does it say on her marriage certificate ?
    23. Ernest is 22.

Death certificate 1940 she is 57

Ok, you probably have this –
    Ernest gives his address as Beach Villas, Sea St, Herne Bay on his military record.

His family isn’t there in 1911 but another Lee family is - Edward a grinder of cutlery with his wife and several children.

This Edward can be found in 1891 along with his son a 13 year old Ernest born in Eastborne living in Lenham, Kent.

Sorry I should have said that Edward & 13 year old Ernest are in Lenham in 1901 !!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast