Default trench wrist watch

I understand that the GOOD HOPE LEVER WRIST WATCH or trench watch was given out in the first world war,does any one have any further info,and were the serial numbers recorded.hullett4124

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    From doing an online search it seems that up until WW1 pocket watches were the normal personal timekeeper then toward the end of the war “trench watches” were developed to assist soldiers who needed to keep their eyes on their opponent but still read the time without ever letting go of their weapon."
    They were made by various companies including Omega, Cyma, Waltham and Orient. Anyway it does appear that the watches were actually purchased by the soldiers, not given to them by the military. Each watch may have had a serial number but none of the items I have seen for sale mention one.
    Do you mean serial number or rather the soldier's regiment number?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dear Christina, thank you for your very quick reply, I am afraid that i made the mistake of replying by email.
    best Regards
    Richard

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Anyway it does appear that the watches were actually purchased by the soldiers, not given to them by the military.
    Ah, this explains an appeal in our local newspaper of 3-Feb-1916 by Bombardier Bashford, L43521, RFA, for a replacement for his broken wristwatch which he needs to record his minelaying. I wondered why he was asking if it was so essential. (I may have his name or number wrong as I can't find him anywhere.)

I have a dim recollection of mention on the Antiques Roadshow or similar programme of a register of serial numbers of servicemen's watches, but I don't recollect any details. Maybe the wrong war.

Hi Chris
    Looking through the Medal Roll Index Cards for Bashford, any first name(s) Royal Field Artillery there is only one who is a Bombardier.
    William Bashford RFA L/45321 (you have L/43521)
    He received the Victory and British medals
    In the remarks column it says "Disc S.M.B 14/12/18

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Christina. I don't know whether to blame my dyslexic note-taking or the poor quality of the library's microfilm. Maybe I'll post a list of names/numbers I can't verify when I get to the end of the war..

For anyone coming across this thread in the future, I might have added his address as 7 Cromwell Road, West Croydon, and should have said he was wire-laying.

thewideeyedowl

Good evening all...

Have just found David Boettcher's extremely interesting website, with this page about trench wrist watches: https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/trenchwatches.php.

It takes you through the history of the wristwatch and how the use of watches was necessary during WW1; the use of luminous paint, the special watches for the Red Cross, and lots more. The illustrations are from contemporary advertising.

Unfortunately, it does not answer the question about the Good Hope Lever Wrist Watch, but you'll browse happily for quite a time and perhaps get some clues about where to look for more info.

Off to roost.

Owl