Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    truey52

Default William Gee and Ann Lowe

William Gee and Ann Lowe were married 4th December 1838, by banns, at the Parish Church, Sneinton,Nottingham. According to their marriage certificate they were both "of full age" and their residence at the time was Sneinton Villas. William stated he was a FWK. William's father was given as John Gee, a cordwainer and Ann's father was Daniel Lowe a FWK. My dilemma is that I cannot find any trace of Daniel Lowe, in either Nottingham or Leicestershire. Thanks, Shirl.

Dundee10

Is this William and Ann in 1851?

Class: HO107; Piece: 2130; Folio: 271; Page: 2

Ann's place of birth is Hugglescote, Leicestershire c1814.

truey52

Yes Dundee, at least that's the one I have them on, Ann is the mystery. Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

For anyone who doesn’t know “FWK” is an abbreviation for “framework knitter”.

Doing a very broad search for any Daniel Low(e) in either Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire:

1851 census:
    HO107 Piece 2132 Folio 665 Page 31
    This one dies in 1869 in Nottingham.

Burial – Bagworth, Leicestershire 6 Nov 1831, born circa 1777 (age 54)

There was an apprenticeship record I came across from the 1600s where the surname spelling was “Loe”, so that might be a variation to bear in mind.

janbooth

Looking at FMP's Leicestershire records, the only Daniel LOWE I can find in Leicestershire born in the correct timespan to be the possible father to your Ann is one who was buried in Thornton, Leicestershire in 1831 - parish register image available to view on FMP. There is also a marriage record on FMP for a Daniel LOE in 1797 at Thornton to a Sarah WILLARS - parish register image also available to view on FMP. Thornton is not too far from Hugglescote, so he could perhaps be a candidate for Ann's father. However, I cannot find a likely baptism for Ann - or any siblings - child of Daniel & Sarah so far.

Have to go out now, but will look again later.

Janet

truey52

Thanks for looking Megan, hadn't spotted that census for 1851, interesting, nor the death, worth a follow up! I was aware of the variation of the spelling of Lowe, pops up in other indexes. Once again, thanks so much, Shirl.

truey52

Thanks heaps for looking Janet, also worth a follow-up, which I will attempt tomorrow, in between looking after grand kids. Shirl.

janbooth

Never rush these things trying to get the details down before hurrying out! Megan is correct in that the burial I mentioned above is at Bagworth not Thornton. Daniel LOWE's marriage is at Thornton in 1797, surname spelled LOE, as is the baptism for a Daniel LOE on the Thornton register in 1776 and interestingly the parish register entry information ties in with where Daniel LOWE is buried in 1831.

Couple of baptisms for a Sarah WILLARS in Leicestershire, one being at Osgathorpe which is not too far from Hugglecote, etc.

Janet

janbooth

We might be onto something with the Bagworth connection. Ann GEE's birthplace seems to vary in census records. However, the 1871 census gives her birthplace as Bagworth (although Ancestry have transcribed it as Boxworth). But I still cannot find any baptisms in FMP's Leicestershire records for children of Daniel.

Janet

Dundee10

Baptism for a William LOE son of Daniel and Sarah at Markwich in 1797 which is also in the same general area.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQYC-GHL

Looking at census records for the surname LOWE born 10 years either side of Ann's year of birth and there are two men who say they were born in Hugglescote - Edward LOWE c1809 and Thomas LOWE C1806. I think Edward was married in 1844 to Charlotte BARTER so it might be worth seeing who he named as his father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast