Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Details of service in WAAF - GM Lowies

Looking for details of Grace Margaret Lowies - Leading Aircraftwoman. Have Service number and discharge book with information but cannot obtain any reference to her whatsoever. Can anyone enlighten me on theis matter?

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,service records after 1920 are held by the ministry of defence....you will find nothing online. Please see https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Loves to help with queries

Just out of interest, have you managed to find her, before service, in the 1939 register?

Hadn't considered that. She joined up in 1942 I believe so would not be on a register in 1939 relating to the Military. Would it matter that she spent a lot of time in India and Ceylon when trying to find her records?

The 1939 register was a detailed survey of the population of England and Wales. It's not a military register. The national Archives have licensed it to Find My Past, a pay to use site.
    See HERE

If she lived in India as a civilian, Fibis may help, see HERE

Thanks for this information. I'm already subscribing to Ancestry and paid for a month on this site so I'll have to think about another subscription. She was never a civilian in India, always working in the WAAF for a Wing Commander in Delhi and Ceylon among other places. I suspect that this source would not hold anything valuable.

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    I have found that it is often useful to know where people were before the war, but I am wondering now if what you were saying is that she was in India and joined up in India.

That's a definite negative. I know she was in England when she joined up, she would have been about 20 at the time living in Yorkshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful

A search of the 1939 Register for surname LOWIES anywhere in Yorkshire, produces only one result: James LOWIES, a widower living in Rotherham.

There are other people resident in the household, for which the details of two of them have been redacted. If you know that James LOWIES was Grace's father, then it's possible that she is one of the redacted entries.

You can apply to have the entry opened, by providing a copy of Grace's official death certificate (details on FMP's 1939 Register webpage).

Having said that, there is not a lot to gain, except confirmation of her exact date of birth and her occupation (if indeed it's her).

A search of the FIBIS database for LOWIES produces nothing.

Peter

Thank you for taking the time to search for this information. My mother's father was called Frank Matthew Lowies, and I'm confident she lived in Sheffield at the time. Unfortunately she is not with me any more, so cannot now ask her for confirmation. I started this process too late. As she had no brothers or sisters I am left searching as best I can. Her war record appears to be a mystery, and tracing her parents has also proved to be difficult, so thank you for trying with the little information you had. I will continue researching and will find out what I want to know eventually I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast