Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In 1901 Grace Margaret is in the Nazareth Home Bexhill age 4.
    Grace Margaret (snr) was in Nazareth House, Bexhill at the same time as my great aunt Jane.

If you are curious to know more, you can contact the archivist at Nazareth House in Hammersmith asking for further information.

In my case she was able to tell me the dates of admission and departure, the name of the person who referred her and a copy of Jane's baptismal certificate.

https://www.
    sistersofnazareth.com/who-we-are/archives/archivists/

Peter

Can I just say that you might have paid a month subscription to Forces War Records but membership of this forum is free so you don't have to worry about time running out before we finish searching for stuff for you.
    just take a look at this notice to understand how you got here And what this forum is all about
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Thank you so much for that, I hadn't realised I would still be able to view and use the forum.

Thanks Ladkyis for pointing out our forums are free. I had completely missed that concern.

Your mother's uncle pedagogue? The record is available on The National Archives site for a small cost here
    UK, Royal Marines Registers of Service Index, 1842-1925
    John Agustie Lowies
    Birth Date 31 Jan 1894
    Enlistment Date 1 Oct 1912
    Division - Royal Marine Light Infantry: Chatham Division
    Register Number - 17629

I can't remember if his birth registration was found before but here it is (again?)
    John Auguste Lowies March 1/4 1894 registration district Thanet vol 2a page 940. Mother's maiden name Doherty. This fits with the birthdate given for the above record.
    Death
    John A Lowies
    Death Age - 51
    Birth Date - about 1894
    Registered Dec 1945
    Registration district - Kensington London
    Vol 1a Page 108
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Once again I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of you all for the time and effort given to my small enquiry. Some of the information given I already thought I had and was reliable so it comes as a positive that others come to the same conclusions. Some of the information is completely new such as my mother's uncle and his war record and the details of her father's victualler records in Sheffield. I knew that he had been a Licensed Victualler, from my mother, but nothing of any locations. I had also found the Kelly directory, but had not discovered the information given above. Is the directory I found through Leicester University the same as the one you used?

I am going to request certificates from GRO asap to confirm the information and direct my future searches.

The search for my mother's war service record continues. I have her service number now(found in her effects) and hope it will guide me to the information I want.

Again - many thanks to everyone who has helped with this research.

The members of this forum are amazing. This has long been my "go to" place when I need to find things. I am hopeless at researching stuff and the members here have more than exceeded my expectations - it's why I am a moderator. I might not be good at finding stuff but I can keep us free of spammers and offer helpful suggestions - and I am nosey enough to want a glimpse into other people's family trees LOL
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pedagogue View Post
    Once again I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of you all for the time and effort given to my small enquiry. Some of the information given I already thought I had and was reliable so it comes as a positive that others come to the same conclusions. Some of the information is completely new such as my mother's uncle and his war record and the details of her father's victualler records in Sheffield. I knew that he had been a Licensed Victualler, from my mother, but nothing of any locations. I had also found the Kelly directory, but had not discovered the information given above. Is the directory I found through Leicester University the same as the one you used?

I am going to request certificates from GRO asap to confirm the information and direct my future searches.

The search for my mother's war service record continues. I have her service number now(found in her effects) and hope it will guide me to the information I want.

Again - many thanks to everyone who has helped with this research.
    Gortonboy told you where your mother's service record is in post #2, and gave you the link.
    There's a little bit more about applying here.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

I haven't found the '22 directory on Leicester's site, it was on FMP, however I have found entries I was searching for before by using the search facility there, it allows you to jump to the pages containing your search term. I then use the browser "find" function to highlight entries on that page.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I have PM you, I have been searching on the internet for information about the Belgium connection in my family, my Great Grandfather was Mathieu louis Lowies, he married Helen Doherty and I think they had at least four children Florence Helen Lowies my Grand Mother, Grace Margaret Lowies, John Augustus Lowies and Frank Matthew Lowies. On Johns Military paperwork his second name is stated as Augustie and his brother Frank address is Redhall Quarry, Slateford, Midlothian. further down his military record it says brother Frank C/O Mrs Briggs, 119 Cemetery Road Sheffield. Mathieu Louis Lowies was a Hotel Waiter in Margate and was living at 23 Grotto Road Margate in 1896, this information I have from his Daughter Grace Margaret's birth certificate. Have found a census from 1891 with Louis lowies and Florence Doherty stating he was born in Eirlemont Belgium, have been trying to find this place but it now does not exist, we think it is now called Tirlemont to the east of Brussels, hope this matches up with what you know and any information you may have would be gratefully received
    Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123