Default Details of BEM for gallantry 1953

Edward Matthewson Mills 1910-1985 was training at the Observer School at West Freugh, Stranraer in 1939. He was awarded the BEM for gallantry in Malaya in 1953, and an MBE Lin 1965. His service no was 531866. Is there any way of finding out more about his service in the RAF, and particularly the circumstances which led to him being awarded the British Empire medal for gallantry in Malaya. Any advice gratefully received. Jenhen

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I think you may have come to us from Forces War Records so reading this will tell you a little about us.
    You could apply for Edward Matthewson Mills' service records. I don't know exactly what information they will contain though.
    This 'sticky' gives some information and a link to the site where you can download the application forms. You will need 30 pounds and a copy of his death certificate.
    There is also a RAF research guide on The National Archives site here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The London Gazette has this for his BEM - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...9793/page/1299 , not specific though.
    MBE here - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...9/supplement/9 - in New Years honour list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_New_Year_Honours
    Not sure if they would be mentioned in his service records, but worth getting them anyway.
    regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you know where he/parents/wife was/were living at the time, try the local newspapers.
    Some of them for the 1950s are gradually coming online at the British Newspaper Archive and Findmypast. Otherwise the local library usually have the local newspapers though if you can't get personally they may charge you for searching. On the other hand, courtesy of the London Gazette, you have an approximate date to search, so they might check for free.

As with any cost, it's a case of 'how much do I want to know this information; is this the only way to obtain it; and if I could get it myself, how much would it cost travelling/time-wise for me to do so?'

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”