Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default where is your birth record

Thomas Bull, I can find him on various census records, waddesdon Buckinghamshire, I can find his christening on 10 September 1848 in Waddesdon Buckinghamshire, but I cannot find his record of birth, any ideas?

Hi
    In the 1851 census there is a sister Rosey age 8. This appears to be her birth registration
    Rose Bull June 1/4 1842 mother's maiden name Eagleton. Registration district Ayelsbury which includes Waddesdon.
    Wiliam's is also on the GRO index 1846 and Jesse in 1852
    So we know Elizabeth, his mother, was familiar with civil registration of births, marriages and deaths which started in England and Wales on 1 July 1837. However registration wasn't compulsory until 1875, following the Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1874, which made registration of a birth the responsibility of those present at the birth.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

His sibling William was born two years earlier in 1846 and I have his birth certificate, so his Mother was definitely familiar with civil registration.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

There is a marriage for Elizabeth EGGLETON, 1838. O/N/D. Aylesbury. There is a groom listed as James Bull.

Using the Reg. information, the marriage occured at St Mary the Virgin, Haddenham, using the BucksFHS, Church finder facility. That is the birth place of Elizabeth Bull in the 1851 census.
    I can only assume you have James Bull, c1822. Waddesden, as father and husband.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by yeoman1 View Post
    His sibling William was born two years earlier in 1846 and I have his birth certificate, so his Mother was definitely familiar with civil registration.
    Thomas is one of several siblings the others can be found on the birth section of gro.gov.uk.

I looked at freebmd.org.uk checked a couple of births around the time of Tomas and couldb't find them on gro.gov.uk one was Births Sep 1848
    BULL Sydney Montague Aylesbury 6 311
    A name that comes up on the gro site is: BULL, ROSSLYN WELLS BALLAD
    GRO Reference: 1848 S Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 311

Are there some entry missing?

This bloke Sydney Montague Bull Aylesbury 6 311 is on censuses with parents Humphrey and Drusilla, then his wife Annie in 1871.
    Ballad is also the mmn for Grenville Bull brother to Sydney in 1871.
    Like you geneius I can't find Sydney on the GRO index. I have had this happen to me before and I sent in a comment to them. However with Thomas he isn't on FreeBMD either
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Some progress, I have at last found on Ancestry an entry for a birth of Thomas Bull 1st quarter 1847 vol 7 page 72. The right parents James bull and Elizabeth Eggleten, but I cannot decipher the district, it is certainly not Waddesdon. Can anybody help. Oh and many thanks for all the replies so far.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Findmypast transcription has it as Droxford, Hampshire. Looking at the original image, that seems to be correct.

Peter

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by yeoman1 View Post
    Some progress, I have at last found on Ancestry an entry for a birth of Thomas Bull 1st quarter 1847 vol 7 page 72. The right parents James bull and Elizabeth Eggleten, but I cannot decipher the district, it is certainly not Waddesdon. Can anybody help. Oh and many thanks for all the replies so far.
    Per gro.gov.uk Not your man

BULL, THOMAS WYATT mothers maiden name
    GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in DROXFORD UNION Volume 07 Page 72

Have you looked at the original entry for his baptism to see if the officiating minister has entered a birth date somewhere?

Maybe an approach to GRO to see if there are any missing entry for the Aylesbury area ishould be considered, Sydney M BULL has been identified as not on their lists!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I know you have this.......!

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975.

Name: Thomas Bull
    Baptism Date: 10 Sep 1848
    Baptism Place: Waddesdon,Buckingham,England
    Father: James Bull
    Mother: Elizabeth

If you are willing, contact BucksFHS for a transcript of the original baptism. which may hold more clues.

https://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php...tisms-searches

Parents by law, were not required to register the birth at this time. One more generation back, all you will have to gone on are other Baptism records, so you'll have to trust this is the right baptism for your Thomas Bull. Unless there are other Thomas Bull baptisms, with parents James & Elizabeth. You will find this out if your ask for a baptism search with a good spread of years. The results will be for the whole of Buckingamshire.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast