Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Travel Ireland/England 1890

Does anyone know if there are any passenger lists available on line for people travelling from Ireland to England (and back) in 1890/1900?

I've got an old photograph of a woman who could be the mother or daughter. The photograph was taken in Manchester and I didn't think it could be the mother as I didn't think she left Ireland. But, I have recently discovered another (youngest) child of this woman, the mother. The child died in South Norwood, Surrey in 1890 as a young baby and although mother is not mentioned on the death certificate it seems unlikely the baby would have been there with her father but not her mother - and siblings.

Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ireland was under British Rule until Partition in the early 1900s. Therefore it was not classed as a 'foreign' country and people were able to travel freely between the two countries. Cosequently there are no passenger lists available.

If I am wrong about this I'm sure someone will correct me.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

There are no passenger lists although not for the reason given above. India was under British rule but there are passenger lists. France or the Netherlands (say) were not under British rule but there are no passenger lists.

This research guide explains the position.

By the way there were generally fewer restrictions on travel then than now -passports were not essential before WW1.