Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    norfolk white

Default Arthur Redfern and Lily nee Lomas - Oldham

Arthur Redfern married Lily Lomas on June 9 1918 at The Northmoor Primative Methodist Church, Ward Street, Oldham.

Arthur was born in 1893 in Stalybridge to Thomas and Clara nee Meredith. His siblings were: Ellis Victor (1878-1958), Thomas Alfred 1889-1977, Ernest Henry (1890-?), Lillian (1894-?), Henry (1897-1990) and Walter ((1902-?).

Lily was born in Oldham in 1895 to George Lomas and Agnes nee Jackson. Her siblings were: Edith (1901-?), James (1904-?), Sarah Ellen (1906-?) and Hilda (1910-2001).

Arthur and Lily has two children - Ernest born 1918 and Edith born 1921.

Can anyone give me any further information on this family?

Many thanks.

Hi
    when you say you are looking for further information on this family do you mean going back with the parents of Arthur Redfern and Lily Lomas or are you looking for descendants of their children? If descendants then any information must be exchanged by private message (pm) as we are not allowed to post the names of possibly living children
    If you are looking for census records for the parents here is Arthur in 1911
    4 Adrian St Lightbowne Moston
    Thomas A Redfern 44 Labourer Manchester, Lancashire
    Clara Redfern 47 Manchester, 8 children born alive to this marriage, 1 has died.
    Arthur Redfern 18 Machine Hand born Manchester, Lancashir
    Harry Redfern 14 Errand Boy (Out Of Employment) Manchester
    Lily Redfern 11 School Manchester
    Walter Redfern 9 School Manchester

You can use the GRO index to find all the children born to the marriage because it now gives the mother's maiden name.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I think Walter born 1902 may have gone to the USA
    U.S., Index to Alien Case Files at the National Archives at Kansas City
    Name: Walter Redfern
    Birth Date: 12 Mar 1902
    Registration Number: 7078414
    Texas, Death Certificates,
    Name - Walter Redfern
    Race - White
    Age - 59
    Birth Date - 12 Mar 1902
    Birth Place England
    Residence Dallas, Dallas, Texas,
    Death Date 2 Mar 1962
    Death Place Dallas, Dallas, Texas
    Father - Thomas Redfern
    he died of carcinoma of the lung and his occupation was surgery technician. The informant on the original image of his death certificate was his daughter. The original image is on ancestry so it may be worthwhile asking your local library if they have the free ancestry library version.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

norfolk white

Many thanks Christanel, yes it is the descendants that I was wanting info on, I didn't realise that this info had to be given via pm's thanks for letting me know. I am trying to trace any living member that I might be able to contact for further info and who also might have photos of Lily's mother, Agnes, who died in 1952, she is my great, great grandmother.

Hi
    This looks like it could be Ernest's death registration, the date of birth matches with the Sept 1/4 1918 birth registration. I wonder if there may be an obituary in a local paper.?
    Ernest Redfern
    Age at death 65
    Birth Date 28 Sep 1918
    Death registration Date - Jan 1984
    Registration district Preston and South Ribble Lancashire
    volume 40 page 2391

Christina
    William Burroughs

norfolk white

Again, many thanks Christina, I'll get in touch with the local archives for that area and ask them if they can see anything in the paper regarding Ernst's death.

Ivor

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Some newspapers are on FMP others are on the british newspaper archive

norfolk white

Thanks geneius

janbooth

Arthur & Lilian REDFERN both appear in the 1939 Register as does daughter Edith and also an Alan REDFERN born in 1933. As they appear in full on the 1939 they should all now be deceased. There is one closed record which indicates the person could still be living. The whole family are living at 268 Turncroft Lane, Stockport, Cheshire. I cannot give you full details of their records because FindmyPast (a pay per view site) prohibits full look-ups.

There is a death registration for Lilian REDFERN in the June qtr 1978 at Stockport reg district whose birth date coincides with that of the Lilian in the 1939 Register. Death registration for an Alan REDFERN in February 1994 in Greater Manchester whose birthdate coincides with that in the 1939 Register.

There are a couple of possibilities for marriages of Alan in the Stockport region on the GRO Index which you could perhaps explore for living relatives. I'm not having too much success in tracing Edith at the moment but will carry on trying to find her. There is no married name for her on the 1939 which may indicate that she never married.

An Ernest REDFERN is living at 247 Preston Road, Longridge, Lancs in the 1939 Register, together with widowed Annie REDFERN, whose birthdate coincides with the death registration that Christina found for you.

According to the GRO Index, Lilian REDFERN's birth was not registered until the September qtr 1899 at Prestwich reg district, mother's maiden name MEREDITH. There is a possible marriage for your Lilian REDFERN on the GRO Index in the September qtr 1929 at South Manchester reg district to a Thomas MORRACHAN. This couple are in the 1939 Register living at Boundary Street, Manchester, but Lilian's birth year is shown as 1904. However, I cannot find a birth registration on the GRO Index for a Lilian REDFERN in 1904 at all, so the year in the 1939 Register could well be incorrect. Or maybe not, as her death registration in December 1998 confirms her dob as 27 July 1904. Perhaps another possibility is a death registration in June 1925 at South Manchester of a Lilian REDFERN, aged 25.

Janet

janbooth

1911 census of Oldham shows George & Agnes LOMAS living at 8 Ramsden Street with children Lily aged 16, Nellie aged 12, Edith aged 9, James aged 7, Sarah E aged 5 and Hilda aged 1, all children born Oldham. George & Agnes have been married 17 years, have had 8 children, 6 of whom are still alive.

Agnes LOMAS is living 6 Ramsden Street, Oldham in the 1939 Register described as widow together with daughter Edith LOMAS and a Nellie BARROW. Interestingly I could not find a Nellie LOMAS mother's maiden name JACKSON on the GRO Birth Index but there is a Nellie BARROW's birth registered in the March qtr 1899 at Oldham, mother's maiden name JACKSON.

Sarah Ellen LOMAS married Albert Edward CLUITT in the September qtr 1931 at Oldham reg district. They can be found on the 1939 Register living at 56 Trinity Street, Oldham and there are 2 closed records living with them which indicates that they probably had children who are still alive. Searching the GRO Birth Index using their mother's maiden name should give you their information.

Possibility for a James LOMAS in the 1939 living at 68 Trinity Street Oldham with a wife Phyllis. FMP have transcribed his birth year incorrectly as 1905 but it is definitely 1903 as per his birth registration on the GRO Index.

Hope this helps further.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast