Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denneville 1940

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Denneville 1940

I am trying to find out as much information about my Grandfather Sgt. Thomas Pashley of the 71st (west riding) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery. Especially the battle that led to his death near Denneville, France, on the Cherbourg peninsula. He died on the 17/6/1940. Can anyone help?

A fountain of knowledge

This was part of the battle of Normandy.
    It's part of a 'friendly fire incident' where 8 RA men were killed by French mines laid in the road.

The french, thinking no British unit would be travelling south had mined the road.
    The British gunners evacuating the area struck the mines, all 8 are laid to rest in Denneville churchyard.

There is an excellent article on this incident here:
    https://www.normandy1944.org.uk/1940.htm

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Timbo58. I did know this already, I guess I was searching for any other tidbits of info.

Do you have your grandfather's service record which is available from the MoD.
    Have you also searched The National Archives site to see if there are any war diaries for the 71st (west riding) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery?
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No Christina, I haven't got his service record. That's probably my next avenue. Although, from what I've found out so far, the 71st was a volunteer Regiment. Not sure if that makes a difference.

His records should be with the MoD
    This 'sticky' gives an explanation and link where you can download the application forms. Needed is 30 pounds plus patience as they take a while to arrive. As he died in battle I am not too sure about needing a death certificate as is normal for those who survived the war.
    The details on the CWGC site may be enough?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina I will have a look into it.

My Great Uncle also died in this terrible incident and is buried at Denneville church.

Percy Hoper Whitehead 835697

Percy served with the 71st Field Regiment, Royal Artillery in France during the Second World War, and was part of the small group of British, French, and North African troops who held back the rapidly advancing German Army in 1940 long enough to enable some 30,000 allied soldiers to withdraw from Cherbourg back to England. He was killed in action on 17 June 1940

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My Grandfather was in this regiment and witnessed the lorry hitting the mine in Denneville. I never met my Grandfather - this is told to me by my father. i have group photos of the regiment - some may be before the action with the BEF, some are certainly after. If there is any interest I can post them.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janfijay, sorry it's been so long, but my focus has been elsewhere. Anyway, if you still have those pictures I would love to see them, I realise i haven't actually seen my grandfather. My mother was only 5 years old when he died. If he is on them, you would have to point him out to me. Thanks for your interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast