Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quickie

Elizabeth Fox married Richard Williams 1882 Our Lady, ST Nicholas & St Ann Liverpool

A couple of Grainger baptisms on FMP show mother as Bessie!

janbooth

I think we may have been on the wrong track. According to William Henry WILLIAM's marriage record his father was James WILLIAMS a Stevedore. Looking for a birth registration for a William Henry WILLIAMS at Birkenhead between 1886-1890 on the GRO Index brings up 6 possible births, the last one of them being a William Henry WILLIAMS whose birth was registered in the December qtr 1889, mother's maiden name BURTON. Assuming that William Henry was not telling porkies on his marriage record, I then started looking for marriages of a James WILLIAMS to any of the mother's maiden names I had found on the GRO and up popped one on the GRO Index in the September qtr 1888 at Birkenhead, of a possible marriage to an Emily BURTON. If you look on FindmyPast the actual parish register marriage image is available to view, and the details of this James WILLIAMS correspond to those given on William Henry's marriage record. I cannot give you full details of either marriage because of their terms & conditions, but I do think it is an avenue you should explore further.

You also state that William Henry's mother was alive at the time of his death in 1948. I cannot find a likely Elizabeth GRAINGER on the 1939 Register and there is a death registration at Birkenhead in the June qtr 1932 of an Elizabeth GRAINGER, aged 70, which would fit in with the dob of Elizabeth FOX c1861 at Preston.

There is a death registration of an Emily WILLIAMS at Birkenhead in the March qtr 1956, aged 92, which would fit in with details on her marriage record.

Janet

janbooth

Possible sighting of Emily BURTON in the 1881 census of Birkenhead (RG11/3576, folio 32, page 58) where she is working as a General Domestic Servant and her birthplace is given as Wolverhampton. She is in the 1871 census of Runcorn with parents & siblings (RG9/3692, folio 31, page 10).

And how about this 1911 census record of a family living at Cleveland Avenue, Birkenhead:

James WILLIAMS Head Mar 48 Labourer Wales Flint
    Emily do Wife Mar 45 Wolverhampton
    Jessie do Daur S 19 Cheshire Birkenhead
    George do Son 11 School do do

James & Emily have been married 22 years, have had 5 children, four of whom are still living. Could this be the brother George you have been told about and if there are 4 children still alive there is another child still to be found apart from William Henry.

Happy hunting!

Janet

janbooth

Two possibles for Tansy: Jessie May (who is in the 1911 census record) and Alice Sarah whose birth is registered March qtr 1896 - can't find a death registration for Alice Sarah before the 1911 census.

Janet

Some terrific finds there Janet. Hopefully Hannah90 will get back to us soon and let us know what she thinks about the records you have found.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

To add to Janet's excellent recent finds.

Here's the same family in 1901, which Janet found in 1911. William is using his middle name Henry. Perhaps Jas (James is the child who had died before 1911) All children born Birkenhead. The family have been indexed as WILLIAM.

1901, 2, Hanover Bldgs, Horselydown, St John, London. RG13; Piece: 386; Folio: 112; Page: 1
    Jas William 40, wharfe labourer dock, Flint
    Emily William 36, Wolverhampton, Staffs.
    Henry William 11
    Jessie M William 10
    Alice S William 5
    Jas William 2
    Alma

That all fits in better than the Grainger line!

Perhaps Jas (James is the child who had died before 1911)
    Seems he's another example of a member of the family being known sometimes by his first name, other times by his middle name, i.e. George in 1911, James in 1901.

Births
    WILLIAMS, JAMES GEORGE WALLACE, mother's maiden name BURTON
    GRO Reference: 1899 J Quarter in BIRKENHEAD Volume 08A Page 547

WILLIAMS, JOHN JAMES BURTON, MMN BURTON
    GRO Reference: 1894 J Quarter in BIRKENHEAD Volume 08A Page 482

A death for John James
    WILLIAMS, JOHN JAMES BURTON, age 2
    GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in BIRKENHEAD Volume 08A Page 316
    Alma

janbooth

Thanks for the 1901 find, Alma, I had missed that one! Hopefully what we have found will begin to knock down Hannah's brick wall. I quite enjoyed searching for the WILLIAMS family instead of John SMITH son of John SMITH, etc, etc.

I did also find a Jessie WILLIAMS on the 1939 Register who was a Nurse but of the two dates of birth shown, neither was correct for Jessie May.

Janet

Potentially

Name: Jessie M Williams
    Death Age: 70
    Birth Date: abt 1892
    Registration Date: Jun 1962
    Registration district: West Cheshire Inferred County: Cheshire
    Volume: 10a Page: 683

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast