Default William Todd Running Fitter & Marriage Date

My 3xG GF William Todd is in the 1841 census at Spring Garden Lane, Sunderland, age 60, as a waterman. The parish record of his son Lindsay Todd's baptism gives William's occupation as keelman.
    The baptism record and marriage certificate of my 2xG GF Richard Todd gives William's occupation as "running fitter."
    Please can someone describe what a "Running Fitter" does?

Also trying to locate a MARRIAGE Record for William TODD and Elizabeth WILSON circa 1800 in Sunderland.

No marriage found in FreeReg, although the likely children born to my GGG grandparents are:
    - Robert Todd, born 17 Aug 1805, bapt 9 Aug 1807, Sunderland
    - William Todd, born 7 Jul 1807, bapt 9 Aug 1807, Sunderland
    (Family Search gives Wm Todd/Eliz Wilson as parents for these two, BUT FreeReg lists Wm Todd/Eliz WELSCH, and William as being from Houghton le Spring not Sunderland...)
    - John Todd, b 18 Oct 1810, bapt 12 Jun 1811, Sunderland
    - Lindsay Todd, born 9 May 1813, bapt 5 Sep 1813, Sunderland
    - Richard Todd, born 14 Feb 1816, bapt 14 Mar 1817, Holy Trinity church Sunderland
    - Elizabeth Todd, born 14 Oct 1818, Sunderland

Hoping someone can shed some light...

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Apparently "Fitter" is an old term for shipping coal-agents. A Running Fitter's duties were to oversee the berthing of the ships which were engaged to load the coals.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Family Search has birth/baptisms for this family, but don't seem to have a marriage. You could check GENUKI and see whether the relevant marriage registers survive.
    They have 2 Johns - one born, as you mention, 18 Oct 1810 (but not bap until 12 Jun 1811). He possibly died because they had another John b. 19 Jul 1821. Like all the kids, b. Durham. Mind you, I have seen families where 2 living children had the same forename (named for different individuals) and one used a middle name or diminutive (eg James/ Jimmy).

Does the 1841 census show both parents as born in the county?

PS If one of their daughters married a Dawson, it might be worth looking at the William & Elizabeth Todd in the 1851 for Bishop Aukland. They have a grandson Robert Dawson with them.

janbooth

FreeReg is correct in its transcription. I am looking at the Bishop's Transcripts actual images of the baptisms of Robert & William TODD and they state:

Robert born 17 August 1805, William born 7 July 1807, both baptised on 9 August 1807 at Sunderland, father Wm TODD, Waterman, N of Houghton le Spring, mother Elizabeth WELSCH N of this parish (N perhaps meaning native?).

The baptism of Lindsay TODD on 5 September 1813 shows his parents as William TODD & Elizabeth WILSON, Low Street, Keelman. I cannot find the actual baptismal image of son John to verify his mother's maiden name. So, are the earlier baptisms of Robert & William the children of the same William TODD, the incumbent having made a mistake, or are they 2 separate families?

Certainly the 1851 census record for William & Elizabeth TODD would point to his wife in that as census being Elizabeth WILSON. She gives her birthplace as Monk Wearmouth and her dob as c1794 and there is a baptism at Monk Wearmouth on 18 September 1796 for an Elizabeth WILSON daughter of Wm & Eliz WILSON. However, the only marriage I have found so far in Durham between an Elizabeth WILSON & a William TODD is one at Monkwearmouth St Peter on 18 December 1824, that being a William Henry TODD to an Elizabeth WILSON. Not too sure this helps you much I'm afraid.

Janet

Thanks for your reply. Yes 1841 census shows Wm and Eliz born in county Durham. On to GENUKI...there are a lot of Durham registers!

Thank you, Janet. I do not believe children Robert and William are my kin if their mother's maiden name is Welsch. (Yes to N = Native).

Lindsay definitely is related because the Low St address is the same for my direct ancestor Richard. The William Todd in 1851 census has the occupation "cartman" (?) so may not be my William. Possible death registrations in Sunderland are William Todd 1841 J Qr age 60 or William Todd 1843 D Qr age 64, which means my guy wouldn't have made it into the 1851 census.

I noticed the William Henry Todd marriage too, but it seems too late in the game...familysearch shows 3 children born to this couple post-1824.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddleia View Post
    ... The William Todd in 1851 census has the occupation "cartman" (?) so may not be my William. Possible death registrations in Sunderland are William Todd 1841 J Qr age 60 or William Todd 1843 D Qr age 64, which means my guy wouldn't have made it into the 1851 census.

I noticed the William Henry Todd marriage too, but it seems too late in the game...familysearch shows 3 children born to this couple post-1824.
    Hi Buddleia,
    I was in Sunderland Local Studies Library today and couldn't resist a nose around on this one.

The William Todd d 1843 age 64 seems to be your man. His entry in the burial register for Holy Trinity Church ** gives -
    1843 - p.290 - entry2317 - William Todd - Running Fitter - Spring Garden Lane - bur. October 18 - age 64years - (note in margin - died Oct 16)
    Whereas the 1840 burial was a Mariner.

A look through the marriage indexes for the 4 suitable local churches - Holy Trinity, Sunderland; St.Peter's, Monkwearmouth; St.Michael's Bishopwearmouth; and Houghton-le-Spring registers - didn't have a suitable entry for a William Todd m Elizabeth Wilson anytime around 1800 (sorry).
    There was an entry of Wiliam Todd m to Elizabeth Watson in 1805 but that was indexed correctly when I looked at the entry - so no good.
    The entry for William Henry Todd m to Elizabeth Wilson on 18/12/1824 doesn't add any info other than bachelor and spinster. (1824 type registers have limited details).

Check your pm's - I can send you scans of the registers.

** I love old registers - the 1843 page has an entry for one -
    Peter Reed, Mariner, Found Drowned on the sea shore adjoining the Moor, Lost from the ship 'Active' of Newcastle, bur. Oct 17, age 17years

Cheers, MTS