Default Records for John Sykes - XXX Corps

Hi,

I'm trying to locate records for my Grandad - John Sykes. I have some kind of medal (I think its a campaign medal) which has on the back "1944 . 1945 Normandy Mount Pincon Crossing of the Seine ..." On the front of the medal there is a leaping Hog with XXX Corps around the top and three smaller badges which look like a flag and two shields. We are fairly sure he was a tank driver and saw active service in the Desert wars. Again, fairly sure he joined up in 1939.

I have looked on the Forces War Records site and can't find any mention of him at all

He lived in Doncaster

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

You will not find his records in FWR. You will need to order them from here. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Welxome to the British-Genealogy forums ChrisLA9
    As you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.

As Steve has said you won't find the service records you need on FWR or online at all becausw records from 1920 onward are still held by the MoD. This 'sticky' explains.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks you both very much for the quick response!!

I wish FWR made this a little more obvious before taking my £9 .... oh well. I'm still a bit puzzled though why you're able to search WW2 records on FWR for people who survived the war, seems some records are on but not others. I will need to read your sticky note which probably explains it all and will tell me I should have read it first :-(

Thanks again, Chris

Hi Chris
    As with all sites it does pay to read their Collections List before parting with your money. but if you want to get in touch with FWR about it under Help in the bar at the top of the page you will see 'Talk to us' in the drop down menu.
    The collections list is in the About Us drop down menu on the home page.
    If you do order the service records from the MoD you will need patience as they could take a while to arrive. You could try your skills at navigating The National Archives site for war diaries whilst you wait. Start at the red menu button on the home page.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

You could try your skills at navigating The National Archives site for war diaries whilst you wait
    He can't do that because he doesn't yet know what regiment he wants.

Googling on the Moun Pincon (etc) phrase turned up a lot of hits including this commercial site HERE selling what sounds like a similar medal, and including big photos. Does yours also have "Alamein Cuxhaven" under the boar, and the list of battles on the other side? There's a bit of info about the medal on the site.
    I repeat, this is a commercial site and I am only including it because of the photos.

According to Wikipedia, XXX Corps was formed in N.Africa and the leaping boar is its insignia. It gives an account of the battles listed on the medal.