Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Philip Coutanche

Hi Everyone
    My name is Ann i am trying to trace my family tree on genes reunited but not getting very far
    i am also using my heritage they have found my grand fathers record off death but when i enter the information on genes reunited it says there is no records found any help with this would be very much appriciated

Famous for offering help & advice

Can you provide any dates,places etc?

born 1883 in Liverpool and died in Liverpool June 1951

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Exactly what information for Philip are you looking for which hasn't either been given in
    this thread
    , or hasn't had a link given to enable you to search for that information?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

hoping someone where i can confirm the information that i have and then i can start to work back words

He is in the 1891 census but his age is given as 6 so a birth date of c1885. Looking on the GRO index which gives the mother's maiden name the only birth registration for a Philip Coutanch 1885 +/- 2 years is in 1883
    Philip Coutanch March 1/4 1883 reg dist Liverpool vol 8b page 70 mmn Davies
    So the birth date on the census is out by a couple of years.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hmm, I can't see a marriage for a Coutanch(e) to a Davi(e)s on FreeBMD in Lancashire.
    1891 census RG12 Piece 2901 Folio 97 Page 26
    8 Tenderden St Liverpool
    John Coutanche 32 sailmaker born jersey Channel Islands
    Catherine 30 wife born Liverpool
    John 12 Liverpool
    Philip 6 Liverpool
    Louisa 4 Liverpool
    Thomas 2 Liverpool
    John is in the earlier censuses on Jersey. In 1861 with his parents and siblings. I don't know how much you want to know or want the thrill of the chase yourself. Sometimes you have to be a little creative with surnames like Coutanche.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by annrichardson View Post
    hoping someone where i can confirm the information that i have and then i can start to work back words
    The first thing you need to do is to buy the birth and death certificates identified by Almach in Post 10 of the other thread you started about Mary O'Brien: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...rien-Liverpool

Now is an excellent time to purchase them because you can buy them direct from the GRO and providing you order PDF versions of the certificates these will only cost you £6 each and will be with you within a week.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp

The Certificates will give you a lot of additional information so its important to read the whole thing.

thank you for all the information i will apply for the birth certificate next as i am away for few days will let you know what i find out

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

For someone born in 1883 and who died in 1951 you would expect to find the following:
    birth registration
    1891 census
    1901 census
    1911 census
    marriage -possibly marriages
    children from that/those marriage(s)
    30% chance of finding a record of service in WW1
    1939 Register
    1951 death registration
    and possibly an entry in Probate Register

The important thing is that once you have found Philip's birth registration that you send for his birth certificate. This will confirm his parents' names. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...cates/menu.asp
    (You can currently order a PDF copy which contains all the details on a certified certificate except that it's in black and white and not a pretty red colour. On the other hand it's only £6 instead of £9.25.)
    With his mother's maiden name, plus the census entries, you should then be able to confirm details about Philip's siblings.

Birth, marriage and death registrations can be found in the GRO Index, available on Ancestry and Findmypast (FMP). Both of these databases are subscription sites but may be available for free at your local library.
    FreeBMD (a free online version of the GRO Index 1837-1983) is still a work in progress but has most of the records up to about 1950. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    The GRO itself also has a (free) 'Historic births and deaths index' online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Births 1837-1916 usually include the mother's maiden name, which is omitted from the main index until 1911
    Deaths 1837-1957 include age at death which is omitted from the main index until 1866.

Quickly reading through the other thread:
    birth registration - post #10 (and post #6 this thread)
    1891 census - post #9 (and post #7 this thread)
    1901 census - post #9
    1911 census - post #44
    marriage -possibly marriages - first marriage - post #3 and post #8
    possible death of first wife and possible second marriage for Philip - post #42
    children from first marriage - posts #28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34,
    (30% chance of finding a record of service in WW1 - not looked for in original thread)
    1939 Register - mentioned in post 42 with Philip said to be a widower
    1951 death registration - post #10
    and possibly an entry in Probate Register - post #12

Although people have transcribed entries for the census, Philip's first marriage, and various other items, I always say that you should look at the actual images (and get a copy ) yourself.

birth registration - GRO Index, FreeBMD, etc see above
    1891 census - Ancestry, FMP, The Genealogist, Genes Reunited
    1901 census - Ancestry, FMP, The Genealogist, Genes Reunited
    1911 census - Ancestry, FMP, The Genealogist, Genes Reunited
    marriage -first marriage - certificate online on Ancestry
    children from that/those marriage(s) - see GRO Index (historic births), FreeBMD, etc
    30% chance of finding a record of service in WW1 - try Ancestry and FMP, but note there is only a 30% chance of finding a record as most were destroyed in WW2
    1939 Register - available only on FMP
    1951 death registration - GRO Index, FreeBMD, etc see above
    and possibly an entry in Probate Register - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
    Free to search, £10 for the actual will.

You might also find online electoral rolls. FMP have some, though they mostly end in 1932.

Once you're happy that you have all the details you want/need for Philip, then you can look at posts # 49, 52, and 53 in the first thread which should enable you to trace Philip's father, grandfather, etc.

Megan: - I know I've virtually repeated what you said re the birth certificate, but I'd already written it, so I've left it in.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast