Thread: Hello,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello,

Got interested in Family Tree about 1978, asked grand parents a lot of stuff which turned out to be very helpful. Started getting certs and census returns in 1992. Did a lot of footwork before they went online. It was great looking through the original books, but they were very heavy and you could loose your desk space quite quickly if you were not careful when swapping books. There was a great pleasure in looking through all the names of the original entries and then finding yours in amongst them. Today is so easy to find ancestors without paying a penny! (But you have to pay for the details) My brick walls have led me to Ireland and Scotland. Abroad was always the last thing on my mind, I was like, "It couldn't be mine from abroad!?" I have come to the conclusion that if we keep going further back, we are all related to each other. The best thing for me about Family Research is discovering my family myself. Can't beat your own research. But it's nice that there are people who help guide you to the places you need to look. Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

they were very heavy
    Dropping one of the GRO index volumes on your toe used to be a rite of passage

Welcome to B-G.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lol! Thanks, There was definitely a knack to pulling them out! And didn't it rile you when they were misplaced and you had to search for your book ! How dare they put it back in the wrong place tut tut!

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Kaggen
    I can fully understand the lure of researching in person but fully appreciate all the information on the internet otherwise I wouldn't have even started my research living so far away from my birth country.
    Unlike you I wasn't wise enough to ask questions of all my grandparents whilst they were alive but knowing my maternal grandmother there would have been some omissions, some embellishments and absence of vital details. It all adds to the fun of the chase doesn't it?
    If you do need help just post in a suitable forum and our knowledgeable and friendly members will do their best to provide the information you need and don't forget to join in if you can help someone else.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs