Thread: Hulme family

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Hulme family

Dear Everyone
    I am trying to help a friend out here in Aust.

He is trying to verify a Rebecca Hulme b.1868 Failsworth, d.Mar 1951 Ashton Lancashire.
    she married John William Bedhal 1891 Prestwich, Lancashire.

Her mother Jane Hulme. believed to have married a John Wilkinson.

trying to find out if Jane or Rebecca were adopted.
    your help most appreciated.
    thanks, Doreen

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can't find any records that match any of the information you have given.

There would be no adoption records to find. Adoption did not become law and therefore have a statutory framework until the mid 1920s. Before that date adoptions were carried on a informal basis either through churches, or benevolent societies, or through friends etc.

Reputation beyond repute

she married John William Bedhal 1891 Prestwich, Lancashire.
    I assume you haven't got the marriage certificate because you've got the groom's name wrong. You need to know what details she supplied about her father.

So many perceived genealogical problems can be solved by simply obtaining readily available documents.

janbooth

John William BEDNAL is in the 1911 census of Failsworth living at 193 Oldham Road with wife Rebecca and their 5 children. According to the census record they have been married 19 years, have had 5 children all of whom are still living.

According to the GRO Index, the marriage between John William BEDNAL & Rebecca HULME took place in the December qtr 1891 at Prestwich reg district.

Not too sure about the marriage of mother Jane to a John WILKINSON as there is this 1881 census record of Newton (RG11/4010, folio 122, page 54):

Culcheth Brow, back of 30

Cornelius MOORES Head Mar 52 Velvet Finisher Lancs Manchester
    Jane do Wife Mar 52 do do
    Alice do Daur 11 Scholar do do
    Rebecca HULME Step daur 13 Cotton Weaver do Withington
    Annie do do 20 do do Manchester

1871 census of Chorlton (RG10/3983, folio 96, page 36) shows Cornelius & Jane MOORE living at 17 Thomas Street with their family amongst whom is a Rebecca MOORE aged 4 born Withington.

Aha, I can see where John WILKINSON comes into the equation. Marriage at Manchester Cathedral on 15 May 1869 of Cornelius MOORE, aged 39, widower, Velvet Finisher, Little Peter Street, father James MOORE, Dyer, & Jane HULME, 40, widow, Little Peter Street, father John WILKINSON, Mason.

Will look for some more info re Jane HULME nee WILKINSON now.

Janet

janbooth

I think this could be Jane HULME in the 1861 census of Hulme (RG9/2886, folio 42, page 29) living at 5 Fawcett Street:

Jane HULME Head W 32 Cotton Weaver Lancashire Manchester
    Thomas do Son 10 Scholar do Hulme
    Mary do Daur 5 do do do
    Ellen do Daur 3 do do do
    Ann do Daur 1 do do

Thomas's birth registration in the December qtr 1850 at Chorlton reg district does indeed show his mother's maiden name as WILKINSON. Bingo! Marriage at Manchester Cathedral on 13 April 1846 between James HULME, minor, bachelor, Boltmaker, 7 Flora Street, father James HULME, Spinner, & Jane WILKINSON, minor, spinster, 33 River Street, father John WILKINSON, Mason.

James & Jane HULME are in the 1851 census of Hulme but the records are partially burnt. They look as if they are living with Jane's mother Catherine WILKINSON at 39 Daisy Street and have 2 children Joseph aged 2 & John aged 4 months.

However, given that Jane HULME is described as a widow in the 1861 census, it would appear probable that daughter Rebecca was illegitimate but so far I have not found a baptismal record for her. There is a birth registration at Chorlton reg district in the September qtr 1867 for a Rebecca HULMES - which is the correct area - on FMP but interestingly I cannot find it at first glance on the GRO Index.

Hope this has helped anyway.

Janet

Daughter Alice MOORE's birth registration in the January qtr 1870 at Chorlton reg district shows mother's maiden name as WILKINSON - so that ties in as well
    Last edited by janbooth; 24-10-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Extra information

Famous for offering help & advice

This is from GRO.

HULMES, REBECCA
    GRO Reference: 1867 S Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 536

MMN - left blank.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Everyone
    I wish to thankyou for your tremendous help. I will pass this onto my friend. He is just beginning his quest for family history and as I have done his spouses family - as her side is related to me, asked me for help.
    thankyou. Doreen