Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Loves to help with queries

Thanks, I've sent in a request to GRO after following Peter Goodey's link further up this thread.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I believe there was more than one brig called Caroline around at the time, as having set out from Sydney to London in May, it would seem a bit odd if the same vessel sank in a storm off Tasmania in October, surely?
    Tend to agree with this statement, however the one you are looking at seems to have a Captain Leslie? The other maybe of Hobart Town.

The Will mentions Captain William ? Davidson Master of the Brig Caroline

The Colonial Observer (Sydney, NSW : 1841 -1844) Saturday 25 March 1843 p 908 Articlehe Colonial Observer (Sydney, NSW : 1841 -1844) Saturday 25 March 1843 p 908 Article

The brig Caroline, Captain Davidson, for London,
    Fix this textwith colonial produce. Passengers — Mrs. Davidson,
    Miss Buckley, Mr. and Mrs. OdeB, and six children.
    Steerage — Mr. James, Messrs. Fechan, Phillips,
    Sparkes, Lavender, Cruise, Drowsos, Solomon, and
    Mr. and Mrs. Pillion.

The Colonial Observer (Sydney, NSW : 1841 -1844) Saturday 13 May 1843 p 4 Article
    May 12. The brig Caroline, Captain Davidson, forB
    London , with sundries. Passengers- — Mrs. "Davidson,
    Mr. Gibbes, Mrs. James, Mr. Black, Mrs. and Masts
    Fix this textAlexander, Mr. and Mrs. Pillion, Mr. Michael Freha»,B
    Mr. J. Hanner, Mr. Drousos, . Mr. Phillips, Mi, H
    Cruise,
    Mr. Lavender, Mr. T. Wilson, and Mr. GeorpBj
    Simmons, and child. . H

Still think you need to look at all sailings of the Brig Caroline. The witnesses to the Will could well be on the sailing above!
    There are several 'bits' missing form the Will info, like the actual date the Will was prepared, the date of death and where etc.

My understanding of a Will granted Probate in the UK relates to property / money left in the UK. Did Ruth James leave a will appropriate to property in NSW for her daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Tend to agree with this statement, however the one you are looking at seems to have a Captain Leslie? The other maybe of Hobart Town.

My understanding of a Will granted Probate in the UK relates to property / money left in the UK. Did Ruth James leave a will appropriate to property in NSW for her daughter?
    The Caroline that was carrying Ruth was definitely the one captained by Davidson, and Messrs Black and Cruise were indeed witnesses to the will. What I cannot establish (I've tried searching the British Newspaper Archive) is when they arrived back in London, although I would have expected sometime in October 1843. Ruth mentions in her will that she is leaving everything to Charles Richard Rogers, as her daughter was married (to a James Harris) in Hobart Town and not in any financial need.

Reputation beyond repute

What I cannot establish (I've tried searching the British Newspaper Archive) is when they arrived back in London, although I would have expected sometime in October 1843.
    I would try The Times

6 October 1843, the Caroline from Sydney arrived off Plymouth.

Didn't look any further

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I would try The Times

6 October 1843, the Caroline from Sydney arrived off Plymouth.

Didn't look any further
    Thank you - that's close enough! I'll await the GRO's response as to whether or not a death certificate was issued. I imagine that something must have been documented, even if Ruth was buried at sea.

Just to update and thank those members who helped - GRO have been unsuccessful in finding anything for Ruth James. They only have details for deaths on board British registered ships, so I imagine the brig Caroline must have been registered in Sydney.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123