Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoylucia View Post
    Having a son with the same christian name as his father, makes research confusing...
    true, but at least we know that Robert senior (possibly/probably) died in 1828 and that Mary was a widow by at least 1841. Not sure I'm going to get any further finding out about Robert senior's death at sea, unless it got reported in a newspaper. I wonder if the author of that yachting magazine article got any further with their research.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    true, but at least we know that Robert senior (possibly/probably) died in 1828 and that Mary was a widow by at least 1841. Not sure I'm going to get any further finding out about Robert senior's death at sea, unless it got reported in a newspaper. I wonder if the author of that yachting magazine article got any further with their research.
    Hi
    It turns out that the author of the piece, is the husband of my newly found cousin. We are going with that Richard Bibbens Stephens, was lost at sea between 1835 and 1851..and not as 1838 as originally thought.

Famous for offering help & advice

yes, the date you originally gave for Richard senior's death was 1828 which I guess couldn't be correct if he was the father of Richard junior born c.1835. What are the origins of the 'died at sea' fact - just a family story handed down through the generations ? The fact that Richard senior isn't with his wife on the 1841 census I guess isn't proof that he had died by then, he could equally have been away at sea. Where do we go from here ? Are you keen to know what happened to Mary, William and Richard jnr. or do you know all that already ?

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    yes, the date you originally gave for Richard senior's death was 1828 which I guess couldn't be correct if he was the father of Richard junior born c.1835. What are the origins of the 'died at sea' fact - just a family story handed down through the generations ? The fact that Richard senior isn't with his wife on the 1841 census I guess isn't proof that he had died by then, he could equally have been away at sea. Where do we go from here ? Are you keen to know what happened to Mary, William and Richard jnr. or do you know all that already ?
    Although, Mary was a 1st cousin, we do have information related to her children due to my new found cousin as she is a direct relation of Mary.
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12