Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Burning Effigies

Were there any other traditions of BURNING EFFIGIES in the UK during this period? In particular I am looking for an explanation of two 19th century diary entries (the diarist was a prominent member of the local BAPTISTchurch, in case that has any bearing). These say:

"Feb 19th (1847) Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT killed"

"Wednesday April 21st (1847) Tonight the lads have been burning effigies of Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT."

Many thanks for any ideas.

Reputation beyond repute

...in case that has any bearing
    The locality may have a bearing.

Hi Peter - thanks for responding: it was Studley, Warwickshire - but on the Worcestershire border & the Baptist Chapel at that time had Worcs connections.

Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The locality may have a bearing.

It sounds like the sort of thing that would attract the attention of local papers...

Thanks Lesley - yes, you'd think so wouldn't you, but there aren't many available for the year and we've drawn a blank on that avenue.

Lesley you are an absolute star! On the back of your suggestion I had a re-think on how I had searched the newspapers, then searched again without the names - just with the key words 'burning effigies' and Eureka! I found a report and some clues to further reaseach - thank you VERY much! Joy