Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarbaraK

Default The Genealogist - a friendly warning

Re. The Genealogist subscription

I recently took out a three month Gold subscription as on the page listing the various types of subscription and what they cover, it specifically lists that it covers Parish Records and Military Records . At this point if you click on to subscribe you are taken straight to the payment page. I was having so little success with my searches that I became suspicious and checked through the site to find that there are recommendations on various pages to check the Parish Records to see what is covered but not on the main subscription page where it should appear, and you have to search them out , which really doesn’t seem fair.
    The next problem is to find the place on their site which shows this information. I finally discovered it and found that what seems like a huge proportion of these records come only with a Diamond subscription. So this is a friendly warning to new researchers to read every page before you click to subscribe. I can see that they are legally covered but it does seem rather disingenuous.
    I emailed the company the next day and asked them to cancel my subscription as I thought there might be a period of time to cover this if you change your mind but was told they would cancel it when it expires at the end of the three months. Needless to say I shan't be renewing my subscription

Reputation beyond repute

If you tell us which parishes you need, we may be able to give you some advice on where to find them.

BarbaraK

Default The Genealogist

Thank you Peter. I'm interested in Gloucestershire ( particularly Bristol ) and Hertfordshire. I've used HALS Hertfordshire but they are a bit limited. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
    Regards
    Barbara

thewideeyedowl

Default Bristol Archives

Hi Barbara

Have you tried searching Bristol Archives? Its online catalogue tells you what's available where: https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Parishes.aspx. And I also found this site, which lists all the parishes available on The Genealogist but does not specify what tier of subscription is required to view them: https://parishregister.co.uk/online/...parish-records.

Hope you will be able to find what you are looking for.

Off to roost.

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

For Gloucestershire (diocese of Gloucestershire), try Ancestry.

For Hertfordshire, try Findmypast.

I'm not aware of Bristol registers (diocese of Bristol) being online but it's hard to keep up. Findmypast have some Bristol indexes bought in from the local family history society.

Also have a look at FamilySearch. There is stuff online but not accessible from home.

It may be worth your while getting a day return and spending a day at the Society of Genealogists library. That should be pretty much a one-stop-shop for you (although I'm not sure about the FamilySearch stuff although they do have the microfilms that aren't now physically accessible elsewhere).

Ancestry and FMP can be accessed free of charge at Kent Libraries.

BarbaraK

Many thanks Owl for the useful information. I will start digging again.
    Barbara

BarbaraK

Many thanks Peter for all the useful tips. I did get the impression that Bristol registers don't seem to be available on line. I didn't know that FMP was accessible through the library nor that there is extra stuff on F.S. through the library. Well-armed I will now start
    following up on your and Owl's advice. Hoping to make a breakthrough with one of my major brick walls.
    Cheers Barbara

Reputation beyond repute

nor that there is extra stuff on F.S. through the library.
    I'm afraid I didn't say that FamilySearch is available through the library. To see their online stuff you have to go to one of their family history centers [sic]. Alternatively, the Society of Genealogists now houses the extensive collection of microfilms from the Mormon London Family History Centre. I don't know about online access to FS via SoG

Growing old Disgracefully

I have the same problem Years ago I had Ancestry Sub for a few years money was tight so did not renew when it run out still able to use ancestry with out sub but limited to what I can see but it works for me. This year I signed up to Find my Past and I think this was a waste of money. Maybe its just me I don't know when inputting family members on trees most of the time all I get is birth and death hits very rarely do I get any census hits for people which is what I want Ancestry shows them me I just can't o[pen them up so I know they are there My problem is why is Find my Past not giving me them.

rant over for today

Growing old Disgracefully

Family Search You can still access this site on line here www.familysearch.org if you want to see the film then you have to go to SoG is that right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast