Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Lucy Smith 1809ish - ?

The announcement of the GRO’s latest pilot of PDF death certificates inspired me to see if I could track down the death of my gt-gt- gt grandmother Lucy Smith nee Millard, who I think must have died sometime between 1881 and 1891, but the question is where.

She was born in Worcestershire, but spent all her married life in Tewkesbury until sometime between 1871-1881.

In the 1871 Census she is living in Tewkesbury with her son, John (Piece 2679 Folio 21 Page 3). In the 1881 Census she is living in Wolverhampton with her married daughter Lucy Millward, and her family (Piece 2793 Folio 89 Page 13).

It’s possible, but not yet established that “Millard” and “Millward” were in fact the same family name.

In looking for Lucy Smith after 1891 I have searched the death indices for likely deaths, but there are too many, although none in Wolverhampton or Tewkesbury (drat!). I have also tried to find her nine children in the 1891 census to eliminate the possibility that she was living with one of them. However, the problem there is that some of them have vanished:

Caleb born about 1831 vanished after the 1851 census when he was living in Stourbridge;
    Charlotte born about 1838 vanished after the 1841 census when she was living in Tewkesbury;
    Mary born about 1840 vanished after the 1861 census when she was living in Tewkesbury;
    John born about 1843 vanished after the 1871 census when he was living in Tewkesbury.
    Elizabeth (Betsey) born about 1849 vanished after the 1871 census when she was living in Kensington.

She was definitely not with: Martha (Cresswell) or Lucy (Millward) or James Smith or Maria (Wallis)

Whilst there are one or two death registrations that could be Lucy Smith, do people think that if I wrote under “Occupation of deceased” on the order form “widow of James Smith, tallow chandler” that would be one way of ensuring that I don’t get sent incorrect certificates?

Famous for offering help & advice

... so were Lucy's children all born in Tewkesbury ? e.g. I'm getting a Caleb Smith born Maugersbury marrying Priscilla Mills in 1856 ?

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    ... so were Lucy's children all born in Tewkesbury ? e.g. I'm getting a Caleb Smith born Maugersbury marrying Priscilla Mills in 1856 ?
    To the best of my knowledge yes they were, but at least 4 of them, including Caleb, predate civil registration, and so for them all I can go on is the Census information as Lucy and James don't seem to have been into baptism.

My gt. gt grandfather, Lucy's son James, was born in 1835, but not baptised until 1855 in Tewksebury St Mary.

The last definite reference for Caleb is the 1851 Census (Piece 2035 Folio 79 Page 10) in which he says he was born in Tewkesbury.

I have previously seen the marriage you mention, and first attracted to it, but have since discovered that there was a Caleb Smith born about the same time and registered in Stow on Wold, so on balance I think that it more likely not to be him, as Maugersbury is next door to Stow on Wold.

Although I haven't cracked the mystery of Lucy Smith's death, I thought that I would share with you all, that since writing the first post, I have actually got back through things and found, and confirmed with a death certificate (courtesy of the pdf trial) the death of her son, JOHN SMITH, in 1875 in Tewkesbury.

So I think my message to everyone is, if I can find the death of a 32 year old, unmarried JOHN SMITH, then there must be hope for all those loose ends we have yet to tie together in a neat bundle.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi
    Have you looked to see if any of your 'missing' children went and emigrated? And therefore Lucy may have gone too/followed?

I have 4 x gt grandparents who were both on the 1871 census in Yorkshire. By the 1881 census just the husband appeared on it. I naturally assumed the wife had died, as she was in her 60's by then. I searched the deaths but couldn't identify her with certainty.
    I WAS SO WRONG!
    She had gone to the USA with a couple of her offspring (married daughter) and grandkids. The husband went as well, in 1871 (after census). By 1881 husband had returned to be near remaining offspring in the UK, and died in 1882. The wife stayed behind in the USA! She died in Indiana in 1895, he died in Ripon in 1882.

A possibility?

Looking at this in general, I came across this death:

Lucy Smith (82, so born approx. 1808), Jun qtr 1890, Pershore (Worcestershire), 6c, 194.

Have you ruled this one out for some reason? It's possible she went back to her roots as she may still have had family there.

Oh and looking on the GRO site at births (of which I found five between 1842 and 1851) the maiden surname of the mother is recorded as 'Millard', which fits Lucy's marriage surname.
    Jeannah Smith (Mar 1842), John Smith (Jun 1843), Maria Smith (Mar 1846), Elizabeth Smith (Mar 1849) and William Smith (Jun 1851) - ALL born Tewkesbury.

All the births of John Millward & Lucy's (nee Smith) children are on the GRO as 'Millard'. I found six between 1865 and 1876:
    Caleb Smith Millard (Jun 1865)
    William Henry Millard (Sep 1866)
    John Frank Millard (Sep 1868)
    Archer Wallace Millard (Sep 1871)
    Harold James Millard (Jun 1874)
    Susanna Veasey Millard (Jun 1876)
    Again, ALL born Tewkesbury.

I couldn't find the births of:
    Charlotte Smith (approx. 1838), or
    Mary Smith (approx. 1840)

Quote Originally Posted by SueP View Post
    Looking at this in general, I came across this death:

Lucy Smith (82, so born approx. 1808), Jun qtr 1890, Pershore (Worcestershire), 6c, 194.

Have you ruled this one out for some reason? It's possible she went back to her roots as she may still have had family there.
    I like this one because her daughter Maria married Herbert Wallis in Worcester, and also Maria, and her sister Martha spent quite a lot of their time with their Aunt and Uncle Henry and Martha James in Worcester. Martha James was I (99% sure) believe Lucy Millard Smith's sister.

So I think it's time to get my purse out and spend £6!

Thank you Sue, another pair of eyes is so helpful!.

Quote Originally Posted by SueP View Post
    All the births of John Millward & Lucy's (nee Smith) children are on the GRO as 'Millard'. I found six between 1865 and 1876:
    Again, ALL born Tewkesbury.
    I am now satisfied that John was a MILLARD rather than Millward, and even more strangely I have now discovered that although he was born in Nottinghamshire, his father, Caleb, was born in Tewkesbury, but as I have yet to track down Lucy Millard's birth proving some kind of cousins relationship is going to be a tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    So I think it's time to get my purse out and spend £6!
    £6 very well spent - it is Lucy, she died at her son in law's farm, and her death was registered by her grand-daughter, and she's described as the widow of James Smith, Tallow Chandler, journeyman!

So all in all very satisfactory, and thank you again to Sue for cracking this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast