Default John Salter 1832 born to who?

Good afternoon folks.
    I have hit a wall in my search along the male line of my family. Unfortunately it is only at my GG grandfather. A little background for you:-
    John G Salter is the son born 1867 in New Zealand, this is just for an easy census reference. His father also called John born 1831 or thereabouts is the one I am having trouble with. In order to go back further in the family line I am looking for a date of birth and parents for John Snr. John Snr was in the army from 1856 to 1877. His service number was 483 and regimental number 319.

According to his records he was born about 1832 in St Anns in Middlesex, later using Bloomsbury as his place of birth on the census. I think I can read from his discharge papers that he was 45 & 1/12 or possibly 7/12s years of age at discharge.

He married Elizabeth Jane Burnett in 1859. His father’s name is given on the marriage certificate as also being called John (Damned confusing!). Occupation – carpenter.
    Now I have tried to identify all births in the Middlesex London area in a period from 1830 to 1833. This because at death in 1891 John Snr was said to be 60.
    I have several candidates for his parents.
    1. John Henry and Charlotte, their son John born 25/10/1831 or possibly 1834 in Grays Inn Lane. This one does not seem to fit as this John died in Hemel Hempstead in 1881.
    2. John William and Mary. Their son John born 18/4/1830 in Holloway.
    3. John Thomas and Caroline. Their son born 22/1/1833 in Queens St Chelsea.
    4. John and Charlotte, their son John born 12/11/1831 at 34 Union St.

These are the only ones so far I can find, although it has to be said that my mind starts to go off a bit with all these Johns!

None of the occupations match up, but then I think that is probably not so important. I have tried to follow each through census and/or death records without too much success. Each time I think I may have identified the correct set of parents I find that I cannot conclusively prove the connection. I have tried filling out my Ancestry tree with a few possible details to see if anything new comes up, but so far not.

If someone could have look and perhaps give me an extra clue, I would be most grateful.

There's a baptism of a John Salter, born 20 Nov 1830, bap 20 July 1834, son of John (a cabinet maker) and Margaret, abode, 50 Willow Place, church St John the Evangelist, Westminster.

His military record on FMP includes "enlisted 9 Oct 1856, age 26, birth parish St. Ann's, place of enlistment Westminster, occupation carpenter".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    There's a baptism of a John Salter, born 20 Nov 1830, bap 20 July 1834, son of John (a cabinet maker) and Margaret, abode, 50 Willow Place, church St John the Evangelist, Westminster.

His military record on FMP includes "enlisted 9 Oct 1856, age 26, birth parish St. Ann's, place of enlistment Westminster, occupation carpenter".
    I've been looking at this query and I too 'liked' the baptism with parents John and Margaret. No time just now for further searching as time for dinner. I'll look by later to see if the search has developed further.
    Alma

Thanks for the info on another John, I'll take a look. The age at date of enlistment is another of those anomalies in his military records. I had seen that one, but in other documents it gives his year of birth as 1832. Hence the confusion and wide range of DOB that I have looked for.

If anyone has any other ideas/leads I would be grateful.

Thanks

Tony.

janbooth

The Service record that helachau mentions wherein John SALTER's date of birth is given as 1830 has the same service number as you quote in post 1 and given the details that you mention it would seem pretty certain that this is your John SALTER. Looking at 1841 census records for a John SALTER son of John born c1832 shows:

The John, born c1831, son of John & Charlotte is in the 1841 census of Shoreditch living at Union Street and John snr's occupation does not look to be anything to do with Carpentry - I think it could be Hair Mer but am not absolutely sure.

John, born c1833, son of John & Caroline SALTER is in the 1841 census of St Luke Chelsea living at 5 Queen Street and John snr is described as a Coal Heaver, so again unlikely to be your relative.

There is a John, born c1833, son of John & Ann SALTER in the 1841 census of South Hackney living at Goring Street but John snr is a Baker.

John, born c1830, son of John & Margaret is in the 1841 census of Westminster St John (HO107/737/18, folio 33, page 21) living at Griffiths Buildings and John snr is shown as a French Polisher so does at least have some connection with Carpentry. I think this John & Margaret are definitely the parents of the John SALTER in the baptism that helachau & Alma have found for you and the clincher to my mind is that there was a daughter Catharine baptised on the same day to the same parents, born c1828, father John again shown as a Cabinet Maker and in the 1841 census of Westminster St John there is a Catharine aged 13 in the same household as John & Margaret, French Polisher.

See what you think, anyway.

Janet

1851 Census HO107 1573 465 28

John Salter (French polisher) and Margaret + a John Salter, a piano forte maker.

This post has been ringing bells

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...438#msg5900438

Bondgt,
    Is there another post on this site re. your John?

Yes, that was 18 months ago and to be honest I wasn't happy with the assumptions I made at the time.

Perhaps I am looking for too much confirmation on the correct person. I have spent quite a bit of time looking on both FMP and Ancestry trying to get some proof of the correct parents. So many variables turn up, but trying to get them to add up to the facts I have confirmed is difficult.

As an example when looking at the military records and in particular the discharge documents I can see that a previous assumption that John's age given as 45 and 7/12s did not seem to be correct. Careful study of the document showed that it was more likely to be 1/12. This then gives a different light to the DOB.

Added to that it is too easy to say, in the case of the previous thread, oh well he just changed job each time a child was born. I find it hard to believe that back in the early 19th century that kind of thing would happen.

I think it is more likely, as said above, that a profession of cabinet maker or french polisher would be likened to a carpenter in later life.

I have initiated this thread in an attempt to get fresh eyes to look at the variations of parents. I may well have missed the obvious and probably need to give this thing a rest for a while.

This is the old thread on the Brit-Gen forum https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-birth-in-1833
    which I have locked so all replies to be posted on this thread.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs