Good afternoon folks.
I have hit a wall in my search along the male line of my family. Unfortunately it is only at my GG grandfather. A little background for you:-
John G Salter is the son born 1867 in New Zealand, this is just for an easy census reference. His father also called John born 1831 or thereabouts is the one I am having trouble with. In order to go back further in the family line I am looking for a date of birth and parents for John Snr. John Snr was in the army from 1856 to 1877. His service number was 483 and regimental number 319.

According to his records he was born about 1832 in St Anns in Middlesex, later using Bloomsbury as his place of birth on the census. I think I can read from his discharge papers that he was 45 & 1/12 or possibly 7/12s years of age at discharge.

He married Elizabeth Jane Burnett in 1859. His father’s name is given on the marriage certificate as also being called John (Damned confusing!). Occupation – carpenter.
Now I have tried to identify all births in the Middlesex London area in a period from 1830 to 1833. This because at death in 1891 John Snr was said to be 60.
I have several candidates for his parents.
1. John Henry and Charlotte, their son John born 25/10/1831 or possibly 1834 in Grays Inn Lane. This one does not seem to fit as this John died in Hemel Hempstead in 1881.
2. John William and Mary. Their son John born 18/4/1830 in Holloway.
3. John Thomas and Caroline. Their son born 22/1/1833 in Queens St Chelsea.
4. John and Charlotte, their son John born 12/11/1831 at 34 Union St.

These are the only ones so far I can find, although it has to be said that my mind starts to go off a bit with all these Johns!

None of the occupations match up, but then I think that is probably not so important. I have tried to follow each through census and/or death records without too much success. Each time I think I may have identified the correct set of parents I find that I cannot conclusively prove the connection. I have tried filling out my Ancestry tree with a few possible details to see if anything new comes up, but so far not.

If someone could have look and perhaps give me an extra clue, I would be most grateful.