Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When John Farmer was first picked up in March 1835 for the offence that led to his 6 month sentence, the local paper reported "Though only sixteen years of age, he has been in custody many (?) times before"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The John farmer I've identified was transported on the Waterloo to Australia, sailed from Sheerness 4 Oct 1837, arrived "PJ*, 8 Feb 1838".

PJ* - Port Jackson?

So, not your ancestor. But the only one I can spot in Worcester around the period you are interested in.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Have built family tree for John Farmer 1813

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBloom View Post
    My gg grandfather came to North America in one of two possible years, as a 15yo in 1828, or in 1835, as part of a larger settlement. [These dates have been revised in post #8]

The youngest of 4, according to family lore, he was a ‘remittance man’ a popular way of eliminating a family’s youngest. His name was John Farmer, born in London, 1813 (St. Mary’s, Stepney, Middlesex). He settled on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada, where he died in 1901.

However. And most notably: John Farmer traveled with a distinguished mariner, Vice Admiral William FitzWilliam Owen, renowned for mapping numerous bodies of water, particularly, the coasts of Africa (1822-26) and the Canadian Great Lakes. Owen’s work in the East Indies and his abhorrence of (African) slave trade are clearly documented. Sailing in and out of the Bay of Fundy on numerous occasions, Owen eventually settled on Campobello Island. Today, my gg grandfather is buried next to Owen.

Not surprisingly, I cannot find John Farmer on any ship’s manifests, but, equally, I have been unable to locate NA movement by Admiral Owen.

Am I correct in assuming that Captain and Crew are required to register whenever they dock in a port?
    Similarly, are such “Cap ’n’ Crew” manifests available to genealogical research, as are available to regular passenger lists?

Appreciation for any suggestions...
    Please checkout my website at ancestry.donfarmer.me and let me know if we are interested in the same person. Would love to share notes.
    Donald

Out of respect for those members of my family still living, I’ll not post my tree.

Good luck with your search.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

ok, I will remove your name from my tree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12