Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Link to the New World

My gg grandfather came to North America in one of two possible years, as a 15yo in 1828, or in 1835, as part of a larger settlement. [These dates have been revised in post #8]

The youngest of 4, according to family lore, he was a ‘remittance man’ a popular way of eliminating a family’s youngest. His name was John Farmer, born in London, 1813 (St. Mary’s, Stepney, Middlesex). He settled on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada, where he died in 1901.

However. And most notably: John Farmer traveled with a distinguished mariner, Vice Admiral William FitzWilliam Owen, renowned for mapping numerous bodies of water, particularly, the coasts of Africa (1822-26) and the Canadian Great Lakes. Owen’s work in the East Indies and his abhorrence of (African) slave trade are clearly documented. Sailing in and out of the Bay of Fundy on numerous occasions, Owen eventually settled on Campobello Island. Today, my gg grandfather is buried next to Owen.

Not surprisingly, I cannot find John Farmer on any ship’s manifests, but, equally, I have been unable to locate NA movement by Admiral Owen.

Am I correct in assuming that Captain and Crew are required to register whenever they dock in a port?
    Similarly, are such “Cap ’n’ Crew” manifests available to genealogical research, as are available to regular passenger lists?

Appreciation for any suggestions...

shume

Hello
    1851/2 census of New Brunswick.Campobello Parish. Note Children given middle name Owen. Think Justice of Peace and farmer should refer to John.

10 17150 Farmer John M Husband 38 English
    11 17150 Farmer Ann F Wife 30 English
    12 17150 Farmer Frances Owen F Daughter 6 Native Justice of the Peace 1836
    13 17150 Farmer Richd J.R. M Son 5 Native farmer 1837
    14 17150 Farmer William O M Son 3 Native
    15 17150 Farmer ? M Son 1 Native
    16 17150 Farmer Edward M Son 3 mos. Native

Stephanie

shume

Default Link to the New World

Also on the 1851 census Campobello:

16657 Owen W.F.W. M Husband 77 English R. Admiral in H.M. Royal Navy
    2 16657 Owen Martha F Wife 57 English

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Owen's records at TNA are 1794 as a Captain ADM196/5/443 and ADM196/37/375 as a Vice Admiral in 1847. Both are downloadable.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    Hello
    1851/2 census of New Brunswick.Campobello Parish. Note Children given middle name Owen. Think Justice of Peace and farmer should refer to John.

10 17150 Farmer John M Husband 38 English
    11 17150 Farmer Ann F Wife 30 English
    12 17150 Farmer Frances Owen F Daughter 6 Native Justice of the Peace 1836
    13 17150 Farmer Richd J.R. M Son 5 Native farmer 1837
    14 17150 Farmer William O M Son 3 Native
    15 17150 Farmer ? M Son 1 Native
    16 17150 Farmer Edward M Son 3 mos. Native

Stephanie
    Evening Stephanie,

_The whole world loves a Stephanie!_

My older daughter is a Stéfanie. Equally, the Owen name continues into the present day: my younger brother is Richard Owen Farmer.

Thank you for your thoughtful addition to my research. We did know John was on Campobello for the 1851 census, but there’s no mention of where he was in 1841 when his latest arrival in Canada was probably 1835. He married Ann in 1843 and the lengthy list of offspring you sent was only his first family! He actually had a second family with Julia, also from the UK...

Still looking for John Farmer’s name on a ship's mandate list on any of Vice-Admiral Owen’s many landings in Canada.

Totally impressed... how do you do this from the other side of the world?

Apologies, Peter.

(Know I'll feel stupid in the morning.) TNA?

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Molly,.
    My turn to apologise, TNA The National Archives at Kew. I mistook the NA in "I have been unable to locate NA movement by Admiral Owen" as National Archives instead of North America.
    Anyway the Admiral's records should help with which ships and when. As you are interested in voyages of exploration, the National Archives do have some ship's logs, look under "Logs and journals of ships of exploration 1757-1904"
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Default JOHN FARMER via Admiral Owen, Campobello, NB

Still looking for information ref: my ancestor, John Farmer (b. 1813).

Always knew he arrived in NB, Canada via a backdoor with the assistance of Vice-Admiral William Fitzwilliam Owen; but how did he emigrate from UK when he was delivered a sentence of Death/Transportation?

Stood trial in April 1837, in Worcestershire; arrived in Canada in April 1838.
    Last edited by christanel; 06-11-2017 at 2:44 AM. Reason: dates revised

Hi Molly
    I have merged your new thread about John Farmer with your old thread on the same subject. Separate threads on the same subject can be confusing and time wasting if members repeat research that has already been done.

I have added a note to your original post advising of the change of dates in your latest post #8.
    Good luck.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

In July 1835 at Worcester City Sessions a John Farmer, 20, leather parer, was sentenced to 6 months hard labour, to include 1 month's solitary and a "private whipping"

In March 1837 at Worcester City Assizes a John Farmer, 24, leather parer and his partner in crime, William Simpson, 24, were convicted of robbery and "death recorded" - effectively " to be transported beyond the seas for & during the term of their natural lives".

On 24 April 1837 John Farmer and William Simpson were removed to the prison hulk Ganymede.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast