+ Reply to Thread
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Default Royal Artillery Drivers

Please could anyone advise if there is anyway to get the detail behind a driver present at the Battle of Waterloo ?
    Wm (William ) Port
    I have enlisting date 1804 , Medal roll - driver, royal artillery drivers, under Captain GH Grimes 'D' troop, Military Discharge 31 Dec 1818 Chatham, Kent Corps of Royal Artillery Drivers

Also, if I will be able to establish if he served in the Penninsular war?
    Also any detail of 'D'troops role.

I am not in the Uk so trying to do this online.......

thank you

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 977 Posts

Welcome to the British Genealogy forum.
    I'm sure you appreciate that records from that period are sparse. You seem to have found more than I have for another soldier of that time, so if you find more, please come back and tell us where!
    Have you tried searching for Capt Grimes? Officers tend to be documented than their men, but if you can find him, that will at least tell you what his troop was doing.
    Other than that, keep re-checking. More and more info is appearing every day. However, bear in mind that such collections often appear on only one of the commercial genealogy databases because that particular company has bought the license for the dataset and has then done all the digitizing. I always check Ancestry, Find my Past and our own partners, FWR as well as The National Archives and the National Records of Scotland. Both TNA and NRS have a lot of records that are not on line, but at least they are (mostly) indexed.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thank you - source was an ancestry member, am in touch re-origin, trying to verify independently with the NA.

+ Reply to Thread