Thread: Arthur Bates

wilkster647

Default Arthur Bates

Hello there,

I'm looking for help in finding the birth of my great Grandfather Alfred Bates and also with any luck the name of his parents.

He died on the 16th August 1941 in Broadstairs Kent during the war aged 61.

I have found his marriage to Rose Nind in the 1 qtr 1906 • Croydon, Surrey.

They had 3 sons Arthur Henry Charles Bates born 25th December 1906, Shoreditch, London
    Raymond Alfred Bates born 12th June 1910 Shoreditch, London
    Wilfred John Bates born 8th October 1915 Shoreditch London.

I have found them all in the 1911 census living in Whitechapel, London and it looks like he was born in Great Barford, Oxfordshire, I'm not too sure about this so have checked the place and counties around it for the census and births but can't really find anything that conclusive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Kind regards
    Tom

Loves to help with queries

The best way forward is to get a copy of the marriage certificate which will have his father's name and occupation. There is a possible family in Oxfordshire in 1891 with an Arthur age 11 and parents Henry and Elizabeth but you can't assume this is your Arthur and family.

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

The 1911 census says he was born in about 1880 in Great Barford OXF.

Births Jun 1880
    BATES Arthur Banbury 3a 827

As already pointed out, you need the marriage certificate so that you can check the father's name. You can't confine genealogy to indexes and censuses,

wilkster647

Thanks. Ive just ordered one

janbooth

From the parish register of Barford St Michael, via Ancestry, 3 October 1880, Arthur son of Henry & Elizabeth BATES, Barford St Michael, Engineer.

Ancestry have the parish registers of Barford St Michael available to view online, if you can access them, and there are at least 4 siblings to Arthur.

Janet

janbooth

Marriage of Arthur BATES & Rose NIND took place on 14 April 1806 at Selhurst Holy Trinity, also available to view on Ancestry, his father being shown as Henry BATES, deceased.

Janet

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

1939 register has Arthur's date of birth 1880, therefore fits in nicely with Peter Goodey's suggestion of the birth record (seen above - Jun qtr 1880 Banbury), which is the one I'd go for based on this fact.

Rose's birthdate: 1882

Sue

Hi Sue, I had to remove the day and month of births as they cannot be seen via a free FMP 1939 register search, and FMP's T&C's don't allow us to post any information not available by a free search. Sorry.
    Last edited by almach; 07-10-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Removed full birth date according to FMP's T&C's