Default Regimental Information Request

Hello,

I was wondering if someone might be able to let me know what regiment (or specific unit, rather) Arthur Greaves was in?

He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery, I just wondered if anyone knew the means whereby I might be able to find out specifically what particular unit so I can see if I can find out a bit more of what his day to day life was like/what he might have done.

Also, does anyone know the best way to go about that? Presumably some war diaries and regimental logs or similar stuff might be available from the National Archives?

Apologies for the amateur questions! Am rather new to this!

Many thanks

We could do with a little more information. I am assuming that from the wording of your request and the section you have chosen he was in WW1.

A lot of the military records from WW1 did not survive because they were destroyed by enemy action in WW2. However the National Archives have scanned those records that have survived and you can search the catalogue to see if he is there.

Go to The National Archives website and follow the prompts.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Sorry, that was a rather glaring oversight - yes, he served in WW1 and I understand he did so in the Egyptian theatre.

Reputation beyond repute

identification details would help - date and place of birth for a start. Presumably Arthur Greaves was his full name. Did he survive the war?

The National Archives research guide is the place to start.

Personally, I've never found it easy to identify a WW1 gunner's unit.

Also Findmypast have the Royal Artillery attestation registers which may help as a first step in determining his regimental number..