Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Information on Edward Munro Green b1905 d1988

I am looking for any information on a great uncle of mine. We understand that he ended up living in an institute from about the age of 15/20 to his death in 1988.

Any information or direction is much appreciate. I have many details on family members, but not on Great Uncle Eddie. I reside in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Edward (Eddie) Munro Green
    BIRTH 22 MAY 1908 • Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
    DEATH 21 JUN 1988 • Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Father
    Henry Joseph Green
    BIRTH 5 DEC 1878 • Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
    DEATH 23 MAR 1919 • Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Mother
    Jane Ann "Jenny" Shillinglaw
    BIRTH 4 SEPTEMBER 1881 • Garth Heads, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
    DEATH 14 APRIL 1924 • Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Famous for offering help & advice

Possibility.

1939 register has an entry for

Edward Green. (P) think this means patient
    Single
    Occupation - Pageboy.

Newcastle City Mental Hospital Newcastle City , Hexham U.D., Northumberland, England.

janbooth

FindmyPast has a National Schools Admission record for Edward Munro GREEN. Can't give you full details because of their Terms & Conditions but he entered the Clergy Jubilee School, Newcastle in 1914. Full record shows his date of birth, address, father's name, date of leaving, he was apparently transferred to Seniors.

If you are certain that he was admitted to an institution when he was aged 15-20, then this maybe does not apply, but I will mention it just in case. GRO has a marriage record in September qtr 1924 at Newcastle upon Tyne reg district for an Edward M GREEN to a Lydia WILLIS. No, we can definitely rule out this marriage, as Newcastle Electoral Registers show an Edward Mervyn GREEN living with a Lydia GREEN in 1929.

Regarding the Edward GREEN that Pamela found in the above post, his birth date does not agree with that of your Edward Munro GREEN so may not be him,although it is possible that the birthdate is incorrect on the 1939 Register and he is the only likely candidate that I can find on the 1939 Register.

Doing a Google search on Newcastle City Mental Hospital, it was opened in 1869, became a War Hospital 1914-21, reopened as a mental Hospital 1921-1948, became St Nicholas Hospital 1948-1996 when it closed. Admission & discharge records up to 1971 are held at Tyne & Wear Archive Services, so it could be worthwhile sending them an email to see if they hold any records for Edward.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

I did notice the DOB on 1939 register.

The image has 1-1 in green ink then a strike with red ink and NK,this goes through Edwards DOB and the person below.

Wonder what are the reasons for different inks?

Pam

janbooth

Interesting, isn't it Pam. Could be one of two reasons I suppose. Looking at other entries further down the page, the manner in which the red ink N/K is written seems to refer to two consecutive patients where the birthdate is unknown. Could the record of Edward GREEN have been changed at a later date as the hospital acquired more information? Green ink is used at the top of the page to insert an extra person in these particular records, so I would perhaps lean to that explanation, but in reality we may never know.

Janet