Hi all

Thought that this was the best place to post this I am still new to all of this and I am now a bit confused about 'copywright'. I looked on the National Archives site and from my reading, it seems fine to copy and share certificates on genealogy web sites, in fact, they say : 'Q:
I'm publishing my family tree on the internet -I want to publish images of the certificates I have.
A:
As long as there are no details about living individuals there is no problem about
publishing the images of the certificates on your family tree website. Any modern
certificates would be subject to the Data Protection Act, and would need the
permission of any living named person prior to publication.

However, I shared a certificate on Rootsweb and am now being challenged about copywright! (The information does not concern anyone living). The National Archives clearly say it is fine to share if there is no information regarding living people (which falls under data protection and privacy, not copywright), so does anyone know if there really is an issue? I will not be 'publishing' the information in any other format (eg a book), this is simply to share with other genealogists.

Thanks

Debs