Thread: Regiment no

Default Regiment no

Hello can anyone please help me
    What does regiment 13jo.j.c.s mean my greatgreat grandfather was a royal marine court martial in Dublin 1847 dont know why yet any ideas please

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    Could you give us the name of your great great grandfather and where you found the record so that we can take a look at the original image? That may help us sort out what the initials mean.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It was got on ancestry.co.uk my greatgreatgrandfather was a thomas bowler pensioned in Ireland from the royal marine in 1865 i know nothing of his sea life but got a little help and traced him to the ancestry page that contains
    THOMAS BOWLER
    TRAILDATE 26 JULY 1847
    TRAIL PLACE DUBLIN
    REGIMENT 13JO.J.C.S.
    REFERENCE NO WO86/5
    So would like to get some help on this 1 thank you

I can't get the record up on ancestry - my search skills not up to scratch. Which set of records is it in? The WO86/5 number is The National Archives number but even then I can't get the record link!
    ancestry also has an image in the UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927 for a Master's certificate of service for a Thomas Bowler born 1815 in Kilrush. Is this your man?
    Other's will be along to sort out the regiment information I am sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Christina,

The record set is UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930 and is part of the Fold 3 collection on Ancestry, so only available to those who have an Ancestry All Access subscription. There was a discussion about this last month. https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ghlight=Fold+3

I suspect that Bernieg has just copied what's available in the index, and has not looked at the actual document.

I've searched a comprehensive list of regiments stationed in Ireland in the 1840s and can't see any regiment even remotely like 13 Jo. J.C.S. Though knowing how Ancestry index things at time perhaps 13. Jo. J.C.S. is nothing to do with the regiment's name.

Bernieg
    - unless someone has inspiration about the regiment you will either need to take out the All Access membersip to Ancestry (available for just a month so it shouldn't be quite as eye-watering as a year's sub) or else hope that you live near a LDS FHC so you can access the document for the cost of getting there.
    https://www.familysearch.org/locations/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you christina/pam tried fold 3 wouldnt regonise bank a/c i gave up it was for a month maybe thats why dont know any way will soilder on
    Thank you for your help i will find my royal marine yet

Will try thank you christina for looking you got futher than me

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

I would say REGIMENT 13JO.J.C.S. is just another example of their poor indexing, they have no idea.
    Here is the WO at National Archives- https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4431745
    But it is not online, you would need to go there to view it.
    You can start a free trial on Fold3, just remember to cancel before they charge your credit card!

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.