Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Third time unlucky

Samuel Burks (Birks) Lincoln born 16th July 1844 to William Lincoln and Denira Burks at Nettleham, Lincolnshire.

Newspaper article Leicester March 16th 1878 states - Samuel Lincoln for many years engaged ...... at the Kings Head Hotel in Loughborough, was suddenly taken ill - owing to the rupture of a blood vessel.. and died. Mr Lincoln had been married three times although only a young man -

article then goes on to state that his wife had died a year ago in the same manner.

I can find two marriages I think - Can anyone else spare a minute to find the three marriages and deaths presumably of the wives.

Thank you.

Mrs P

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

1871 Census Samuel 27 and Annie 26 at Hotel, Loughborough. Ann died Loughborough age 29 Dec Qtr 1873.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can see the two marriages you mention, I think

Samuel Lincoln/Annie Haines Jun 1866 Oxford 3a 931

I presume that this is the Annie who died 1873

Samuel Birks Lincoln/Mary Porter Mar 1877 Barrow S 7a 217

Again I presume that he was still married to Mary when he died

There is also this one

Jun 1874 Leicester 7a 434 to either Emily Buxton or Louisa Elkin

I can't find a death for either with surname Lincoln but there is a death for an Emma Lincoln aged 22 Sep 1878 Loughbro' 7a 77

Age at death would give a yob of 1854 and there were two Emma Buxtons registered in 1855, one in Melton Mowbray and one in Bingham. I think the Emily marrying Samuel in 1876 should read Emma but I haven't seen an image of the register to be certain and therefore I could be wandering off into la la land!

Anyway, something to consider.

Emeltee

Name well known on Brit-Gen

2) Mary nee Porter LINCOLN remained in Loughboro' 1881 RG11 3145 58 15

She remarried 3 Dec 1882 aged 25 to Henry Barradell

1) Agree Annie Haines obit recorded in Leicester paper 18 Nov 1873

3) looks like Emma Buxton
    Lincoln Emma 1854 1876 1876
    England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
    Loughborough, Leicestershire, England

Leicestershire burials on line, Samuel is listed as is Emma she was 21 bu 31 August 1876 by Coroners Order!
    Last edited by geneius; 20-09-2017 at 8:19 PM. Reason: add info

Wow, would be interesting to see what Annie died from , Emma was ' a considerable vessel in the lungs had given way and she was suffocated by the blood

That is fantastic, thank you everyone. I only have subscriptions to limited newspapers through my local library card at the moment - the original article on Samuel I had on my laptop for some time and thought I would take a better look at him. I had not found these other articles but will be putting another sub on shortly so I will make a note of them.

So looks like - marriage to Ann Haines in Oxford 1866 (wonder what he was doing in Oxford?) death in 1873 in Loughborough also a newspaper obit to follow up. Then married Emma Buxton in 1874, she died after what sounds like a terrible trauma and died in 1876 - burial record confirms. Poor girl. Finally marries Mary Porter 1877. He dies 1878 and Mary re-marries in 1882 to Henry Barradell.

All references noted thank you.

Well I have to be selective with certificates but I am going to push poor Emma's death certificate up to the top of the list.

They all died so young.

I am off to see if there were any children born to any of the marriages and see what happened to them.

Mrs P

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you don't find anything do come back to us as I have found a few things but don't want to spoil your fun.

Emeltee

Emeltee post away as the Lincoln and Sleight families are large to say the least and that is just from the main branch. I am going to write up about Samuel. He had a sad short life by the sounds of it.

I'm expecting the internet police knocking at my door shortly as I have been googling 'sudden death and bleeding from nose and mouth'..... etc. From what geneius put I have concluded Emma had a massive pulmonary embolism or something similar - but in one so young it makes you wonder if it was something she had suffered from all her life or something she had been in contact with especially as Samuel went in a similar fashion.

I followed another Samuel Burks Lincoln (on FS) who married in 1908 ish but it seems he was born in Cambridge and nothing to do with my Samuel, I wondered initially if it was a son.

All help gratefully received, then when I get a sub I can go straight to the appropriate records to see for myself.

Mrs P

Internet Police well that could go for a number of us on this forum

What I am curious about is the cause of death in persons connected to Samuel Lincoln and his death being similar!

Well I didn't want to say that out loud but I thought it Ha Ha, was he living somewhere which was having a very profound effect on all their health or did he bump off the first two and got caught out himself with the second..... Wonder what Ann died of - I would normally presume problems with childbirth but we know different for Emma and Samuel - perhaps another certificate after all.

Mrs P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast