Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default James Stephen Black

Hello, I'm a newbie. Can someone help me locate any information regarding my grandfather James Stephen Black born 22 July 1895. He was living in Exeter in 1919 when he married Eleanor Mary Wheeler in a registry office. I'm wondering why he would have been living in Exeter when he came from Tyrone. It does not seem a natural progression. He was working for Gold brothers garage as a clerk in Exeter and living in a local hotel. He then moved to Gloucester. I can't find any military records for him in ww1. I realise this is a long shot but I'm going round in circles. No birth record can be found for him but the marriage cert says his father was Oliver Black deceased by 1919.

Many thanks

Lorac

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a tree on Ancestry that has your man. Same spouse and fathers name.This tree has him back n Belfast by 1923 as it states his son was born there. You will need to check all this to verify.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    As you are seeking help I have moved your post from the Introduce yourself forum to the Brickwall forum for now. If needs be it can be moved again later.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There is a tree on Ancestry that has your man. Same spouse and fathers name.This tree has him back n Belfast by 1923 as it states his son was born there. You will need to check all this to verify.
    Thanks for your reply. I know the tree you mention. It belongs to a friend who is also looking for James Black. It's his early history we can't find from 1895 - 1919 when he married in Exeter.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There seem to be 3 family names Black on the 1901/1911 Irish census, each has a James who would be a 'fit'! This one has no father just a household of surname Black siblings & a male boarder with the same surname...at Drumnahoe Douglasburn, Tyrone.

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...umnahoe/848123

This in 1901 https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...ycall/1729716/

Have you looked to see if James Black is your man's birth name?
    |Do you or family members have his actual date of birth, this may be on his death certificate

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have been on google and found this link.Reading thru' it is the same theme that I have started on!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...opic=733696.36

There is an Irish researcher who comes on this forum Elwyn, maybe he can take it further