Default Copyright mutter, mutter BNA mutter, mutter

Just had a very interesting conversation with a delightful lady at the British Newspaper Archive about the disappearance of certain newspaper pages.

In 2011 I saved several editions of the Manchester Evening News to my account so that when my computer went belly up I would be able to find and read again the articles of importance to my research I said when rather than if because I have history with technology)

Today I went to the saved documents because I cannot find them on this 'puter, I cannot find the printed pages and I am getting annoyed with myself.

The documents are no longer viewable. They simply don't load. I sent a message to BNA they responded within two hours and I rang them.

It seems that if someone tells them to take down a document because it is copyright then it is removed at once. So now I am left wondering why some editions of the MEN have been removed but not all. I am going to go to the MEN website right now and ask them if they were the ones who spoilt things for me and if so could they just find the particular article I want and scan and send it to me. Not much to ask is it.

I will also ask how copyright can affect a paper from 1894.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I was under the impression that unless the 'author' copyrighted' their work in a newspaper, the rest of the paper was in the public domain ( by virtue of the nature of newspapers!) and therefore free to use!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I was under the impression that unless the 'author' copyrighted' their work in a newspaper, the rest of the paper was in the public domain ( by virtue of the nature of newspapers!) and therefore free to use!
    All works are copyright automatically unless the copyright owner puts it into the public domain (note this is not the same as making it publicly available).

With regards to an 1894 work being copyright it could be the scan or the image was copyright, rather than the work itself, and was required to be removed.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Certainly the claim that the removal of the pages were on copyright grounds sound odd, unless there were advertisements on the page. Advertisers, particularly companies, often retain copyright of advertising, but even that should be out of time.
    I have often found in dealing with customer relations in large organisations that a staff member who does not know the answer to a question they will make one up. Don't laugh, this is true. Just think how often one comes up against spurious health and safety reasons for questionable decisions.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]