Loves to help with queries

Default Parbold, Lancashire

Could someone please explain to me why Parbold does not appear in the list of Parishes at Lancs OPC?

Thank you in advance

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that is a question that can only be answered by Lancs OPC, although looking at their pages they don't seem to volunteer a contact address.

However, it may be that the answer could lie in the description of Parbold given by GENUKI: "a township in Eccleston parish".
    This is a link to their relevant page:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Parbold

If you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see a link to the Lancashire Parish Register Society, which I think is separate to the Lancs OPC.

GENUKI also have a church data base and the link below will take you to a page showing churches within 3 miles of Parbold:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churches

Thanks Megan. You found my problem - I couldn't find a contact for them either! I hadn't thought about the Parish Register Society though so I will contact them. Many thanks.

Wiganexile

Email is marked under the quill at the lefthand side

Thank you!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Parbold was a township in the Parish of Eccleston lancashire, included with it were the townships of Heskin & Wrightington

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you select Eccleston on the Lancs OPC site, you'll find a link to Douglas Chapel, which was located in Parbold.

There is a full description of the chapel and its history, and transcriptions of all baptisms and marriages, as well as surname indexes. There is an explanation of why there were no burials at the chapel.

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Eccleston/...pel/index.html

As far as I am aware, the registers of Douglas-in-Parbold Christ Church, which replaced Douglas Chapel, have not yet been transcribed. Lancs OPC should be able to tell you if and when they might be done.

Our Lady and All Saints Parbold is the catholic church and there are online indexes for baptisms, marriages and deaths.

https://www.ourladysparbold.org.uk/wo...tisms-records/

Peter

I emailed the coordinator at Lancs OPC and received a reply as follows

"Parbold is actually in the parish of Eccleston. Going to that parish you will find a link to Douglas Chapel which is in Parbold.
    This is one of the earlier sets of information put on the site and being somewhat rural it has not been developed as well as other areas.
    Parbold was obviously not named in the original list of parishes that I used as the starting point and its absence had not previously been noted.
    I will try to get it added to the list so that people can find it without the need for a little guesswork."

Good result. Thank you to everyone for their input.

janbooth

I don't know what period you are interested in, but if you can access Ancestry, they have the actual parish register images for Douglas in Parbold 1774-1794 and 1809-1812. Not a particularly long period, but may perhaps be useful to you.

Janet

Hadn't checked Ancestry yet. Dates may be spot on! Many thanks.