Thread: Egypt 1914 -18

Default Egypt 1914 -18

I am looking for more information on the following relative who died in these circumstances
    Can anyone throw more light on this awful situation.
    Private Levi John Hards, 200929. Royal Sussex Regiment, 1st/4th Batt.

Levi died when the military camp he was serving in suffered an explosion and a total of 14 men died in the blast. On the 10.08.1917. 66 CC Stn Syria

I can’t find his military records so don’t know all his war service, the family said he was mention in the Passendale role but I can’t find anything about this either.

Any information would be very much appreciated.
    Regards Jenny

janbooth

There is a tiny bit of information about him on FindmyPast's military records but not an awful lot and it is only a one line transcription to the effect that he was dangerously wounded the day before he died. The record is classified as WO363 Service Records "Burnt Documents" so that could be why you cannot find his full Service Record.

Doing a Google search for him brings up the fact that a Death Plaque for a Levi John HARDS was sold at auction in 2015 by Lockdales Coins & Collectables and that he was born Horsham, killed in action 10 August 1917 and buried in Deir El Belah War Cemetery, but you probably already have this information.

Have you looked to see if there are any local newspaper reports which might mention what happened to him and his comrades in more detail? There are certainly records about the Royal Sussex Regiment online which give a certain amount of detail as to their movements after the formation of the 1/4 Battalion in Horsham in August 1914.

Janet

Dear Janet
    I have a copy of the plaque, I didn't know he was wounded then died, I have Ancestry and find my past, but assumed they were
    "" Burnt records"" I shall try the Parcially burnt on the archive.
    And look at Horsham newspapers. Will also look at Sussex reg dairies?
    Thank you for your help
    Regards Jenny

{I see this crossed with Janet!}

His records seem to be among the 60% that were destroyed during WW2. A few bits of information can be gleaned from other places...

cwgc.org says that 200929 Private Levi John Hards, age 34, of the 1st/4th Bn Royal Sussex Regt is buried at Deir El Belah War Cemetery which they classify as Israel and Palestine (including Gara).
    Wife Nellie Lilian Hards of Horsham, Sussex.
    There is a memorial map and history on their site.

His medal index card shows that his original service number was 4/3261, the longer numbers were introduced during the war. He was entitled to the Victory & British medals plus the 15 Star which indicates that he reached the Front in 1915. It goes on to say that he arrived in the (2b) Balkans on 6 Nov 1915 (I don't know what the (2b) signifies and died of wounds.

You might find more general info in the Regimental War Diaries, or his local newspaper.

I see from the 1911 census that he was a brickyard labourer with 3 children, married 7 years. From the 1891, his parents were Thomas & Sophia Hards.

Dear Lesley
    Thank you for your reply
    I will look thru what you have suggested.
    His family have been disappointed that he was buried in Egypt then moved to Gaza Strip which
    is not accessible to be visited. I found his medal card and found information on these medals being
    awarded possumusly. To our grandmother Lilian.
    Thank again
    Regards Jenny